Forgiveness

Yo's eyes fluttered open to the sound of raised voices.

"I'm not letting you in."

"Please, I just need to talk to him."

"What he needs matters more, and I'm not letting you set him back in his healing process."

"P'Pha?" Yo mumbled, grasping for his boyfriend next to him in bed. The sheets were still slightly warm, but no Pha. Yo forced himself upright with a huge yawn, rubbing his eyes. Who the hell is arguing at... he looked at the clock. Ugh, seven in the morning?? He slid out of bed, uncaring that he was only in Pha's over-sized t-shirt and a pair of boxers. "P'Pha?" He stumbled out the bedroom door towards the living room. "P'Pha, where are you?"

"Dammit. Thanks a lot. You woke him up."

"I have the right to-"

"You lost all rights to him when you kicked him out with no place to go and took his name away from him," Pha growled darkly.

It still hadn't registered in Yo's sleep-addled brain who Pha was talking to. He curled his arms around Pha's waist, snuggling into him. "Why'd you leave?" He whined softly. "Now the bed is getting cold."

"Yo

"Yo."

That one word woke Yo up completely. He whipped his head around, staring at his ex-father in shock. "What are you doing here??" How'd he know where we live??

Kasem looked like a wreck. He had dark bags under his eyes, his skin was pale, and his clothes seemed too big for his frame. "Yo," he said softly. "May I come in? I need to tell you some things."

Pha was like a guard dog, tensed and ready to attack. "There is no way-"

"Yeah, you can come in," Yo interrupted him. "But how long you stay depends on what you have to tell me."

Kasem wasn't surprised at his former son's icy tone. "Fair enough," he agreed, following Yo inside. He gazed around at what he could see of the apartment, settling slowly on a couch. "Your place is very nice."

"Thanks," Yo said automatically. He sat on the couch to the left, staring hard at Kasem. "What did you want to say?" Pha sat next to him, a protective arm around his shoulders. He kissed Yo's head while shooting a challenging look at Kasem.

He'll be safe with this one, Lady, Kasem smiled inwardly. I've been such an old fool... "First, I want you to know how truly and deeply sorry I am for all these years."

Yo straightened in his seat, curious. "Why?" If this is because of the trial-

"Since...since I kicked you out," Kasem winced at his own words. "I've had nothing but time to reflect on my years as a father. Father," he snorted. "If anyone can even call me that. I never meant to neglect you, Yo. You were all I had left of your mother, but it hurt to even look at you. You're the spitting image of her, and it was so painful."