Check-Up

Yo couldn't stop smiling at the newest ultrasound photo, clutched delicately in his hands

Yo couldn't stop smiling at the newest ultrasound photo, clutched delicately in his hands. Only one more month, and he could hold their precious baby girl in his arms, kiss her chubby baby cheeks, dress her in the cute little clothes he and Pha had bought for her, be able to use the many adorable baby booties he'd gotten from his family and friends, rock her in the rocking chair he'd picked out, and put her to sleep in the beautiful crib. One more month, and their little Love would be more real. Yes, she was real to Yo and Pha. But they couldn't hold her close in their arms or listen to her baby coos and laughs. She still had about a month left of developing to do in Yo's tummy.

"Happy, baby?"

Yo lifted his gaze to Pha's, scrunching his nose up in a cute, bunny-like smile. "Very happy. One more month and we'll get to see Love."

Pha smiled back, equal parts relieved and happy that Yo was doing better. Even after the visit from his three moms, Yo still went through a depressed period each day, staring longingly at his deceased mother's photo. He seemed to be doing better now, though. It helped that Yo had Moon mentor duties and classes to distract him. Pha reached over, clasping a hand on Yo's, squeezing affectionately.

"P'Pha, can we get some strawberry sorbet after this?"

Pha wanted to laugh. Yo had such a hopeful, childlike look on his face. How could Pha ever say no to his baby? "Of course, baby. Is there anything else you'd like?"

"Mmmm..." Yo tilted his head right to left, then back again a few times, thinking. "Fried chicken?"

No more Tom Yum, hm? "Sounds good to me," Pha agreed easily.

"And can we get some Tom Yum, too?"

"Anything you want, baby." I spoke too soon.

Yo's gaze dropped back to the photo. They were still waiting on the doctor to come back. He was going to give Yo a new prescription for some new soothers. Now that Yo was this close to his due date, his lower back was really aching, and the old pain relievers weren't cutting it. Neither were the Epsom salt baths. The warm water helped, but...nothing was taking the ache completely away.

One more month, Yo told himself. One hand drifted down to rest on his belly when Love started moving. I can suffer one more month of aches. I can do it for our baby.

"Alright," Dr. Jaruji came back in. "Here is the new prescription. Make sure you take those only when you really need them, okay? Too much could cause harm to your internal organs."

"And Love?" Yo questioned. If these could hurt him, and possibly their little miracle, then he didn't want to take them at all.

"Possibly, yes. But if you take them as prescribed, then you have nothing to worry about." Dr. Jaruji smiled, stepping back so Pha could help Yo off the examination table. "I have lots of patients to see today, so I'll see you both in about two weeks. Take care!"