Wayo Chaichanatham

When checking your phone for messages, you don't really expect to hear from your grandparents, especially when you haven't seen them in years

That's how it was for Yo. He woke up wrapped snug and safe in Pha's arms, way before the alarm was set to go off, and promptly burrowed back under the covers, unwilling to get up so soon. Then his phone went off. He grumbled to himself and carefully slid free of Pha's grasp, sitting on the edge of the bed as he reached for his phone.

He felt a hand lightly caress his back, slipping under the t-shirt. "Something wrong?"

"No. I got a message," Yo wiggled his phone at Pha. As he opened up his messages, Pha moved to sit next to Yo, wrapping an arm around his waist. "Oh...Oh, wow..." Yo was dazed, eyes glued to the screen in shock.

"What is it?" Pha couldn't tell if Yo was upset or happy.

Yo looked up at Pha, a hesitant smile on his face. "It's from my mom's parents. They just found out what dad did, and they want to meet us. Both of us."

Pha nodded slowly. "When?"

"Today, as soon as we can. They live here in Bangkok, so it's not that far to their townhouse."

"Townhouse?"

"Yeah. They have a huge, sprawling place in the country, but they prefer the townhouse. It's smaller and easier to handle now that they're in their fifties."

"They're only in their fifties??"

"Yeah. Grandma is fifty-eight, and grandpa is fifty-nine. They were really young when they had mom and auntie, a complete one-eighty to my dad's parents who had him late in life. I never met them," Yo sighed sadly, leaning into Pha's side. "They died before I was born."

Pha rested his head on Yo's. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay. They were probably like him, anyway..." Yo trailed off. He turned, letting the phone fall to the bed, and snaked his arms around Pha's waist, hiding his face in his boyfriend's chest. "I have a good feeling about this," he peeked up at Pha with happy eyes. "From what I remember, they supported families that society deemed taboo, even back when they were kids. I think they'll like you, P'Pha."

"I wonder what they want to talk about," Pha mused aloud, not commenting on Yo's words. He wasn't as positive about the situation as the younger seemed to be.

Yo started giggling softly. "They probably just want to rant about my dad. I don't think they like him too much."

"But...it was an arranged marriage between him and their daughter, right?"

"Yeah..." Yo gave Pha a considering stare. "But that was because my mom fell in love with my dad, and had to have him, so she convinced them to set it up for her."

Pha laughed in shock. "Wow...I wish I could've met her. She sounds like a determined woman."

"Mm, yeah, she was," Yo's voice was soft.