Rollercoaster

Kit and Ming were minding their own business, sitting side by side in the Med library, studying their own coursework

Kit and Ming were minding their own business, sitting side by side in the Med library, studying their own coursework. They did not figure on anyone invading their little silent bubble of studying, nor did they ever fathom the reason why. But it happened - Yo, not in his wheelchair, came and sat down across the table from them with a couple books and a notebook, a dangerous glare on his face as he opened one book and started to read.

Ming was confused...until he saw a certain doctor-to-be hovering in the background, looking almost as upset as Yo, and at the same time worried. "Um..."

"Don't. Ask," Yo ground out, not looking up from the book.

Kit was not used to seeing Yo like this. He knew Pha probably dealt with Yo's mood swings everyday, but the rest of them hadn't gotten the brunt of his anger quite yet. "Can we help?" he asked tentatively.

Yo met Kit's gaze, brown eyes angry and frustrated. "I'm supposed to exercise my back everyday. But so far, P'Pha hasn't let me do hardly anything. I know I have to be careful, I'm not stupid! But I'm so done with being treated like a special needs toddler!" Now he was so upset, he was close to tears. "And he doesn't understand! I'm feeling much stronger already, and I even called the doctor the other day to ask if I could walk a little each day, and he said it should be okay, but that I had to rest as soon as I felt the least bit tired. I can do that. So, I tried to do that this morning. I got up out of bed and went to get dressed in my uniform. But P'Pha walked in while I was getting my trousers on and about had a fit because I was on my feet and not still in bed. No matter what I said, he wouldn't listen, and basically dressed me like a doll and made me sit in the wheelchair."

Ming shared an 'uh-oh' grimace with Kit. Neither one of them liked where this was going. "Then what?"

"Lunch was okay. I ate with the Fairy Angel Gang, and they made it fun being in the wheelchair, pushing me a little faster than P'Pha would to the next class. I didn't mind it so much then. But then P'Pha came to pick me up afterwards, and he saw us racing up and down the hallway and nearly bit their heads off. I got so mad, I threw my textbooks at him, then got up and walked off."

"All the way here???" Kit stared at him. Not good...

"Of course not. I waited outside while Montree brought the wheelchair out, and he pushed me all the way here. Then I saw P'Pha, and I got mad all over again, and walked inside and found you two," Yo breathed harshly, rubbing his watering eyes. "I know I have to be careful. I know that. But he can't just manhandle me like that, and he can't talk to my friends like that."

Kit sighed. He understood it from both points of view. Pha was positively terrified something would happen to Yo, and Yo was trying to get stronger as long as what he did was okay with the doctor. It seemed to Kit that neither were communicating with the other very well. "Pha," he focused his attention over Yo's shoulder at the worried second year. "Get over here already. You make me think of Snape from the Harry Potter books, skulking like that."