faces and places

The Taco Bell drive thru was the first place they met.

Dream had an insatiable craving for cheesy potatoes, and what better place to satisfy himself than Taco Bell?

He pulled in through the narrow driveway, rolling his window down slowly as he approached the microphone. The menu was faded and dirty looking, but he didn’t even need to look at it to know what he wanted.

“Hi,” Dream put on a polite voice, “Can I get, um…”

“No, we don’t have any ‘Um’.”

Dream was taken aback by the sudden reply from the box. It was quick and sharp with a hint of an accent, and was full of sarcasm. He needed to think fast— that response really sent his mind in a loop.

“Oh, sorry, I guess I’ll have to look at the menu again.” Dream shot back with a soft laugh as he regained his mental footing, “I’ll just have three fiesta potatoes.”

“That’s all?” The guy asked, followed by a quick, “Take your time. I can see the gears working up there.”

Dream snorted. If it had been any other day, Dream wouldn’t have entertained the guy, but he was in a good mood.

“A large pink lemonade.” Dream added, “That’s it.”

“Any sauces?”

“Just give me all of them.” Dream shrugged.

“Just making my job harder.” He heard the guy sigh dramatically, “Your total is 7.06, you can pull up to the window.”

Dream called out a short ‘thanks’ before slowly rolling past the bend in the road. Soon, he was at the window, fumbling for his wallet helplessly as it bounced out of his pocket and onto the floor below.

“Man, you’re just as clumsy as you look.”

Dream’s head shot up and was met with dark, tired eyes meeting his own.

The guy had fluffy brown hair that stuck out weirdly through his uniform visor, and a headset over one ear with the microphone pushed up towards his forehead. His expression was slightly amused with a smug grin perking up at the corners of his lips.

“Sorry.” Dream apologized quickly as he pried his card out of his wallet, arm shooting out the window to hand it to the worker.

Dream watched the guy flash him a sarcastic smile before slamming the window back shut. It was only moments before it slid open again, and the man returned Dream’s card with a receipt. Dream scanned for the guy’s name tag…

Sitting crooked on the left side of his chest read the name George written on with a smudged sharpie. It had a little smile next to it.

“Don’t be surprised if you see any random charges on that card, I’m strapped for cash right now.” George said, but froze for a second and followed it up with, “I think I need to clarify that that was a joke. I don’t want to get fired.”