Always by your side

Age 9: Gender

The sun shines bright overhead, nearly blinding in the Florida heat. The two boys pay no mind swinging next to each other enjoying the last couple days of their summer break.

Dream beams at George having just won a swinging contest. Sweat drips off his form as he breathes heavily. Dream laughs at George’s sour expression, he teases, “Don’t be a sore loser Georgie!”

George simply pouts harder at that sticking his tongue out.

The action causes Dream to burst out in laughter. The wheezing noise encompasses the space around them. George slowly finds himself drawn in more amused by the sound of Dream’s laugh than anything else.

They laugh for what feels like ages. George’s vocal chords straining as he gasps for breath wiping a stray tear away from his face.

A comfortable peace takes over, high energy fading to a gentle lull.

George kicks his feet along the ground swinging lightly, barely a sway.

Dream’s voice cuts through the haze with a hesitant air, “Hey George?”

George hums directing his gaze towards Dream surprised to find the nervous expression his friend sports.

Dream’s eyes flit down to the ground, “What do you want to be George?”

George tilts his head at the question confused, “What’dya mean?”

Dream grips the swing a little tighter nervousness swirling in his stomach, “Well you know, like an alpha, beta, omega...”

Realization flashes through George’s brown eyes. A flurry of conflicting emotions show on George’s face, the settling one being a slight frown, “Oh...”

Dream feels awful seeing the crestfallen expression. He knows George doesn’t like to talk about it much but he doesn’t understand why. Dream thinks it’s fun to talk about! Nevertheless he opens his mouth to reassure his friend they don’t have to talk about it.

George beats him to it eyebrows scrunched in deep consideration, “I don’t really care. Maybe a beta?”

Dream throws the idea around in his head. George being a beta? The harder Dream thinks about it the less it makes sense. Dream knows it can’t be right. The absurdity of it makes him laugh, “George you’re too special to just be some beta.”

George’s eyes widen as a deep blush takes over his face. He blinks proceeding to cough harshly into his elbow brushing off the comment. Yet he fails to push it fully away. His curiosity getting the better of him. George clears his throat, “Well what do you think I’ll be Dream?”

Dream narrows his eyes in deep contemplation. If George isn’t a beta, well there’s no way he can be an alpha. Dream allows his eyes to inspect his friend. His fingers tap along his chin. Yeah George is way too small to be an Alpha. Unlike Dream, he looks too soft. Dream voices as much, “Omega.”

George freezes, pinned under the word. His heart beats faster, body begging to jump off the swing and run home. But he doesn’t. That would cause too many questions. Instead he whines, “Dream that’s like the worst one to be.”

Dream frowns in puzzlement. He can’t wrap his head around it, “What? Why?”

George sometimes wishes his friend wasn’t so clueless. Internally George scolds himself, both Dream’s parents are alphas, he couldn’t know. So George swallows the pit in his stomach and takes it upon himself to explain, “Well cause, everyone treats omegas like they’re less.... I see it with my sister and Mom.”