Literal Attraction

The bracelet clipped together firmly on George's wrist with a quiet snap and he moved his arm away from the countertop.

"It's fairly simple, the bracelet will remain inactive when you aren't near your soulmate, then when the magnet picks up the attraction you'll be pulled towards them, it only turns off when when you are within 4 feet of them."

George nodded and pulled his hoodie sleeve down, covering the silent metal magnet he'd been given.

He was 21 now and his mother was adamant that he needed to join this program, every time he'd tried to date someone, it would end horribly with George breaking it off for different reasons each time. It wasn't his fault that his last boyfriend chewed with his mouth wide open, it drove him fucking insane.

So here he was, walking away from the desk with a stupid fucking bracelet that will supposedly help him find his soulmate. It was all a bunch of bullshit but he did it to stop his mother nagging him about it.

When he got home, he chucked himself into bed, the bracelet clinking slightly as an annoying reminder of its presence.

He'd deal with it tomorrow, tonight he was sleeping and hopefully never waking up.

-Time skip to the next morning-

Groaning, he shoved the covers off his face, wincing at the change in his positioning. There was probably something bad about the way his bones cracked and re fucking shaped in the mornings.

He disregarded it as a lack of movement in his sleep and stood, stumbling half awake to his bathroom.

And that was his routine, every morning, for three fucking months.

At the start, though sceptical, George was intrigued at the prospect of having a soulmate, someone he was scientifically guarantied to love.

But as the days flashed by, his beginning enthusiasm began to border on irritability.

No auditory prompts, no magnetic pull, nothing.

The bracelet remained dead on his wrist, inactive and going to work everyday with this thing attached to him was starting to gnaw on his confidence.

Everyone could see it, everyone knew how long he'd had it.

It was oddly unsurprising to George that he didn't have a soulmate, he was picky and snappy, sure his online persona as GeorgeNotFound was far happier, but real life George was sick of everything.

His mother never stopped calling, always asking if he'd found them yet, always trying to cheer him up when he said 'No, not yet'.

Soon, it was the summer holidays, he had two weeks off work and he intended to have fun, regardless of the metal ring around his wrist that had deemed him unlovable.

To the fucking shopping centre.

Not the best way to begin a week of 'fun' but he needed to run a few errands anyways.

Lifting a what he could only assume was blue hoodie over his head, making sure the sleeves covered his bracelet, he grabbed his phone and wallet and left his apartment.

2 hours into his shopping trip, he'd managed to look depressingly lonely at a milkshake stall, ordering in front of 6 or 7 couples that looked very happy sharing their drinks. He'd gone into Primark and asked several strangers what colour a certain shirt or pair of jeans were. He'd scared the shit out of some pigeons minding their own business on the grass outside the centre and he was currently wading through a crowd of people trying to get to a empty bench in the midst of it all.

Each family or happy couple he passed made him want to hurl, every snot faced child holding a dripping ice cream that looked at him funny was reluctantly ignored and every attractive guy he saw was always holding some short blonde twat's hand.