i think we're alone now

“And… There!”

Sapnap’s Fingers worked fast, lacing up and tying the long laces around George’s ankles. They were old and beat up looking, a little dirty, and missing the little plastic tips on the ends.

George had no idea how Sapnap had convinced him to do this. Sapnap grabbed George’s second ankle and tightened.

A couple days ago, Sapnap came to George, pleading for his help.

“George!” Sapnap had whined, “I need you to do me a favor!”

“I’m not taking out the trash again, Sap, it’s your turn. It’s been your turn all month.”

“No,” Sapnap pushed George’s legs off the couch, taking a seat next to him, “I’m going out on Friday.”

“Okay?” George shrugged, “Good for you?”

“Let me finish.” Sapnap complained, “I’m going on a date with Karl, and his roommate is gonna come, too.”

“And? Get to the point.”

“And I kinda… Promised you’d come so it would be a double date.”

“Sapnap!” George sighed, exasperated, “Why would you do that?”

“‘Cause… I don’t know! I didn’t wanna say no to Karl… He just looked so excited, you know?” Sapnap’s voice became softer at the mention of his boyfriend.

“Call him and cancel.” George said sternly.

“I… Can’t.”

“If you can’t face your own boyfriend, I’ll call him and tell him I won't be coming.”

“It’s not that.” Sapnap sighed, “They already paid for tickets. Non-refundable tickets.”

George groaned, rubbing his eyes harshly. He sat for a minute, contemplating his options.

“Okay. Fine.” George threw his hands up in defeat, “Where are we going?”

“Yes! Thank you!” Sapnap cheered.

“Where are we going?” George repeated his question.

“The roller rink. The one with the arcade and the neon lights.”

Fuck.

“Stop fucking moving.” Sapnap groaned, tugging harshly at George’s leg.

George gave a small wince, straightening his ankle. Sapnap finished lacing up the skate, tying a tight double knot that nearly cut off George’s circulation.

“You can stand.”

George’s eyes rolled to the back of his head as he sighed. Carefully, he held onto the edge of the sticky table and got to his feet.