make it worth it

Dream was really excited for this.

Countless hours were spent crouched over his desk with magnifying glasses digging little marks into the bridge of his nose as his fingers became shaky from all the tiny, repetitive movements he absolutely could not fuck up. This was the exact moment all his turmoil had led up to.

A wave of relief washed over Dream when he finally placed the front panel back onto his Neuralink headset, the satisfying clicks of the hard plastic solidifying his weeks worth of effort. A soft power on jingle played from the headphones he had attached to the device, and Dream soaked in the satisfaction of his modifications.

Modding a Neuralink wasn’t difficult, in fact, most people did. The only difference between Dream and most people, was that he was taking the extra step. He wasn’t just installing software, or hacking through firewalls— he was upgrading the hardware itself. Making little changes in the way the system fired at his neurons, causing him to feel much more than the machine had actually been designed for.

You see, these machines were created for a specific purpose with specific hardware as to not let little kids fry their brains out playing virtual reality tag at recess. Only small, specific signals were allowed to pass through the sensors and into your neurochip for safety reasons, of course. But, of course, the company had left some major back doors open in all of their gear, making it stupidly easy to twist and change their technology into exactly what you wanted.

And what was it Dream wanted?

He wanted to go to NeoNevadas. Plain and simple.

NeoNevadas was a place known by many, but only accessible by very few. It’s location was only found during certain time periods on certain days, and you needed a very special graphics chip to even be able to see it. Getting in was a whole different story— the user would need so many extra neuron processors in their headset, it would explode halfway down the hall if it wasn’t properly wired.

Dream was no master, but he knew his way around a couple circuit boards. Though it took a while, Dream was finally able to soup up his machine enough to attempt his virtual escape.

Nerves finally set in, and Dream found himself wiping sweat from his neurotransmitters before slipping the helmet over his head.

He felt the familiar little crackle of electrical pulses snap against the sensitive skin of his scalp, making him jolt in discomfort for a moment while the impossibly close screen booted up.

Thick, heavy wires laid uncomfortably along his back and sides, tangling across his bare arms and legs. After all, you really wanted to watch out for static electricity with these types of things. One wrong shock and you can fuck up your whole system.

The screen flickered from black to gray, and Dream neary held his breath. A bright Neuralink logo plastered across his vision, and he quickly found himself unintentionally bouncing his leg. As the trademarked company’s photos faded, a message popped up in Dream’s field of view.

New software installed: 32 packages

New hardware installed: 19 packages