afterglow

George sat at the edge of the wide expanse of pool, his legs tucked up against his bare chest.

He hadn’t gone in the actual water yet, but that was just because it was full of a bunch of guys who seemed way too worked up over their intense volleyball game.

There were four on each side, and small crowds of other partygoers formed around the edge of the water to watch them play. It was amusing how they yelled at each other and cheered for themselves. George had even begun to root for the team on his side of the pool.

His team consisted of one guy with a dark ponytail, a tan guy in an inner tube, a second, much paler guy in matching arm floaties, and a loud, tall blond who seemed to be carrying the group.

George cradled his glass close to his chest, feeling the condensation drip down his fingers as the ice melted in the harsh heat. It was refreshing and very sweet, though he had no idea what the hell was in it besides the cute blue umbrella hanging off the corner.

All he knew was that it’s fucking him up really quickly.

Things started to swirl in George’s mind, his eyes lazily watching the game from behind his sunglasses.

Maybe it was the stinging sun on the back of his neck, or maybe it was the unholy cocktail of alcohol brewing in his stomach, but George swore he could feel one particular guy staring at him between rounds.

George let himself relax. After all, it was a beautiful summer day, and he was at a party at somebody’s big ass mansion house. What wasn’t to love?

“Bring it on!” The guy with the ponytail yelled with a laugh, “Match point, bitch!”

“Fuck off, Sap!” One of the guys on the opposite team shot back, “It’s not over ‘till I say it’s over!”

“Shut the hell up, man.” His teammate with the ball nudged him.

George chuckled to himself, but was quickly caught off guard when the blond on his team turned to flash him a smile. He was sure his cheeks turned bright red right then.

The match began as soon as the ball was in the air. Frantically, the teams shuffled around in the water to keep the game going. A dive to save the ball earned a couple cheers from the crowd. It got really intense, everyone on the edge of their seats.

George was trying his best to pay attention, too, but it was getting difficult. All his thoughts were about the blond on his team, and his soft smile from before.

George wasn’t focusing, and he didn’t notice the other team spike the ball past their wall of blocking arms until it was too late. The wet ball smacked him square in the face with a hard thud. George reeled back, his head spinning and vision blurry.

There was a second of silence while the ball rolled off his lap and into the pool slowly. George reached his hand up to his nose, wiping at the sore spot. Checking his fingers, he noticed a bit of blood dripping down.