stuck on you

George only received the invitation a day before the event. It left him scrambling to find himself a presentable outfit to wear to this grand event.

This soirée was only the biggest event of the summer. It was always hosted by the man at the other end of the block from George's house- a mysterious man that everyone who attended called "Dream".

It was the first time George had actually been invited, and he wasn't exactly sure why he had been in the first place. He never met Dream- or anyone who had ever attended one of his parties, for that matter.

The invitation was simple. A small, thick, white paper with gold ink etched into it, letters intertwining with each other ever so carefully.

George was taken aback when he first saw it flutter down from it's stuck position in the crack of his front door as he opened it. It slid to the floor and landed by his feet.

My dearest neighbor George,

I hope to see you tomorrow night at my summer soirée. Arrive around eight, and I'll see to it you enjoy your stay.

Dream

So... elegant.

George had less than half an hour until he needed to head down the street to Dream's party. It was nerve wracking to think that Dream had seen him at some point and been intrigued enough to send him his own personal invitation.

He had on his best suit, though it wasn't all that fancy or formal- just normal black slacks and matching tuxedo jacket and a stark white shirt buttoned up to the collar.

George decided to make his way over to the house, as it was getting dark outside, and he didn't feel like walking around much after sunset.

It was a short walk, but the heat made it nearly unbearable. Heavy, stagnant air built up in George's lungs as he climbed the gentle hill to Dream's party.

From a couple houses down, George could hear the music. Soft and muffled, albeit, but it was still audible until he approached the house. Dream's house was incredibly recognizable- it seemed to be the largest in the neighborhood and was always glowing a warm yellow from every window.

The tall, dark door was already open wide by the time George reached it. He stood at the entrance for a moment, peeking around the corners at the partygoers already inside enjoying cocktails and appetizers.

George managed to catch someone's attention with a small wave.

"Hello?" George called out.

A man in a brightly colored suit hopped over. It was a vivid plum hue with a green tinted shirt underneath. His tie hung loosely around his neck, and George could tell his socks were mismatched.

"Hello!" The man tilted his head in greeting, "Haven't seen you around here before."

"Yeah, I, um..." George relaxed his hand on the invitation that crumpled slightly in his nervous grip, "I haven't been invited before."

The man in purple laughed loudly and George furrowed his brows.

"Ha! Nobody gets 'invited'." He shook his head while chuckling, "Everybody here's a gatecrasher. You must be joking."

George held his small paper close to his side, not daring to bring it up again.

"Yeah, I am..." George let out a nervous laugh, "Just joking! I got you with that one, didn't I?"

"Oh, you really did." The man brought his hand up to wipe a tear that had formed in the corner of his eye from laughing. George took a passing note of the two rings on the man's finger.