Disguised Dreams

Maybe it was stupid for George to have opened a dating app at eleven at night. Maybe it was stupid for him to actively be seeking out a simple hook up while on vacation in another country. And maybe, just maybe, it was stupid to be eagerly awaiting a match from one specific account in particular. But that was the position George found himself in as he lay spread out on his bed, bored out of his mind.

Most profiles were simple. They showed photos, usually the ones considered the most attractive to the person running the account, a first name and their age, and then a short bio section where people typically said a little bit about themselves and what they were looking for from the app. Not this account though. This account stood out.

The profile that had caught George’s attention so desperately still had photos, a name, age, and bio, but where smiles and well done hair would usually be displayed, pictures of hands or a lap where a cat would lay cuddled up wholesomely took their place. Where commonplace names such as ‘Tony’, ‘Callum’, or ‘Justin’ would read, instead a simple noun stared George down. Dream . The age read twenty-two, something he hoped was truthful, not being too far off from his own age, and the bio… Well the bio was what stood out the most.

Many people often remained somewhat vague in their bios. Some would say where they studied, or list off hobbies in the hopes of finding common interests with potential matches, and then if you were lucky they’d specify whether they were looking for something in particular or had ‘hard nos’ when it came to dating. This guy though, Dream , had a bio that was anything but vague. In it he was straight to the point, listing down everything you may need to know before interacting with him. It was all laid out crystal clear and, honestly, George appreciated it like crazy. No confusion, no mindless small talk, just straight to the point. Sentences such as ‘The purpose of this account is for no-strings-attached sex. If this isn’t what you’re searching for then please disregard this profile.’ , and ‘I book a hotel room for us (free of charge on your end) and we meet there. You are allowed to send people your location to ensure your own safety as I understand how this may seem.’ , eased George’s mind. He didn’t have to ask a billion questions about how it all worked because it was there for him to read before even matching so he didn’t have to awkwardly back out later if he found out it wasn’t what he was hoping for. There was one section that stood out the most to him though.

‘I do this all anonymously. That means no real name, no personal address, and most importantly no face. I’ll be wearing a mask throughout our evening together to keep my anonymity and if you attempt to convince me to remove it, or remove it unwillingly then I will end our activities right there.’

George assumed that for many, that would be the section that drove them away, made them uncomfortable or weirded out. Not George though. If anything, George liked it even more because of that section in particular. So when his phone lit up, letting him know he had matched with Dream , he practically scrambled to open the app and then await a message. If nothing came through after ten minutes, then he’d make the first move, but he sincerely hoped it wouldn’t come to that.

What George hadn’t expected was for the opening message from Dream to be an audio file. He hesitantly clicked play, ready for perhaps some kind of troll message letting him know he got pranked or was being stupid and unsafe in seeking out strangers for meaningless sex, but instead he was met with a happy, yet factual-sounding, voice that ran over some more information for him, almost like a last warning to know what he’d be getting into with him.

“Hi, George. I’m Dream. Obviously that’s not my real name, but if you’ve read my bio then you already know that I don’t reveal my real name to my matches. If you’ve not read my bio then I highly encourage you to do so now.” There was a pause in the audio, presumably to give him a chance to click off and do so if necessary, but after a few seconds, the voice resumed. “I wanted to send you a voice message so you at least knew what I sound like since you won’t get to see my face, and perhaps you could actually get a sense of my personality a bit since my bio is kinda super to the point and fact based.” There was a chuckle and the sound of clicking in the background before he continued. “Um, so basically, I’m just looking for sex. Meaningless, fun, consensual sex. I have a lot of kinks so if you’re into anything specific let me know and we can totally do that kinda stuff, uh…” More clicks. “Oh yeah, and if you want, you can pick the mask I wear. I have quite a few different types, so, yeah… Your choice. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask, and like my bio said, I’m a switch but have a preference for topping so let me know where you stand with that and stuff. Um… Okay, cool. Hope to hear from you soon, George.” With that the audio ended. Even from his voice alone, George’s heart had already sped up.