Safe (parents arguing in beginning)

Josh Dun imagine

The screams were just too much. It had been like this for as long as you could remember. Your parents would fight all the time. Screaming and yelling until you wanted to rip your hair out of your head. You often went to your room and hid for hours until it stopped. It scared you to listen to the two people you loved tear each other apart with words.
17 years and you still fit into the small ball you become in the bottom of your closet when things got chaotic. You felt the safest there but there was one thing you would love right now. That was your boyfriend Josh. You wish he could be here, holding you and telling you it will all be okay.
You didn't want to text him or call because you didn't want to bother him. He was probably busy with drumming or something. You could feel your chest growing heavy as it usually does. The tears were coming to your eyes as you became more and more fearful. You felt like you couldn't breathe.
After struggling for about 20 minutes you got up and ran to your bed where you phone was. In your shaky hands you dialed Josh's phone number.
"Hello there beautiful." a cheerful Josh answered. You hesitated before replying trying to speak but words weren't coming out. "Y/N, what's wrong?" Josh asked and you could hear the change in his vice to concern.
"C-can you pl-please come here?" you stuttered out.
"I'll be there in five minutes. It'll be okay, just breathe okay?" you nodded even though he couldn't see you.
You hung up and went back to your spot in the closet. Small spaces made you feel safe and like nobody could hurt you.
You just listened to the argument that was occurring downstairs as tears fell from your eyes. You were so out of it you didn't even hear your door open. The next thing you knew you were in Josh's lap as he rocked you back and forth. You listened to Josh's breathing trying to match it and calm yourself.
"Shh, it's okay. You're safe and it will all be over soon." he said holding you tight as you cried and tried to get your breathing back to normal.
Josh helped you sit down on your bed, rubbing your back as you took deep breaths and tuned out what was happening downstairs. Once you steadied your breathing you looked into Josh's eyes that were filled with concern.
"Just keep breathing okay. You're the strongest person I know. You can get through anything." he whispered to you.
"Thank you Josh. I just got scared I'm sorry I called you." you apologized.
"Don't apologize. You're my girlfriend and I love you. I would rather spend time with you than sit at home and play drums."
"Will they ever stop?" you asked your voice cracking.
Josh held you close again. "I'm not sure. I wish you didn't have to go through this, but I'm here for you and never think I don't wanna be here for you."
"I love you." you whispered your voice still weak.
You tuned the noise downstairs out as Josh held you close. You eventually fell asleep in his arms and he tucked you into bed.
"Yeah, she was scared and asked me to come over. Sorry you guys didn't know." you heard Josh's voice outside your bedroom door.
"It's fine. Thank you for being there for her." you heard your mother's voice as you got out of bed and peeked out the door to see your parents and Josh talking.
"You're a keeper Josh. You can spend the night if you want to." your dad told Josh and when you saw Josh turning to walk back to your room you ran back to your bed like a little kid being caught by their parent.
You crawled under the covers and acted like you just woke up when Josh opened your door.
"Sleep well?" he asked you climbing in bed next to you.
"Yeah, why are you in my bed?" you asked playing dumb trying to act as if you were eavesdropping.
"Y/N I saw you run back to your bed." he laughed pulling you close to him.
"Ok fine. I was listening. My parents really like you, you know that?"
"Well good thing because I really like their daughter and I hope in the future they become my parent in laws." he said smiling at you.
"I love you." you told him for what felt like the 37th time in the past 3 hours, but it never grew old and neither did the feeling.
"I love you too." he kissed the top of your head and you again felt safe.

Credit to topimagines on Tumblr