Chapter 9

Tim's POV:

Tim's POV:

Seeing Gibbs made me forget his usual tactics. There was no preparing for this.

We had no idea he was actually going to address the problem. I know I didn't see it coming.

B.M. Which stands for Before Melissa. Gibbs would say or do something he would feel bad about. He might say one sentence to reassure us that he didn't mean it, without saying it. Then, we would all move on because that's what was expected of us.

Now, that Gibbs is addressing a problem that he's caused; I don't know how to act.

I hope he didn't go and see Melissa. She might think because of what I said earlier, he would have dropped it with her too. That wouldn't be good considering she's not going to drop this. She shouldn't. This is her life he just fucked up.

I remember who I'm dealing with when we all get packed in the elevator and he shuts it off.

We don't say anything because we don't have to. It's his turn to explain himself.

He stares at us and as usual, shows no emotion. "I know that you all have heard the news,"

Say it. I want him to say it. Look us in the eyes and tell us how you've lied this entire time. To her, to us, he probably lied to Vance and Fornell about it.

It doesn't matter to them. It's not like he hasn't lied to them before. We just never thought he would lie to us.

"that I am Melissa's father." There it is.

I can tell the others are looking at me for my reactions. I'm not saying anything, so they don't. They're on my side and it feels great.

"The only thing I'm going to tell you today is that it's true and don't go assuming things from my past or hers."

We don't say anything.

We don't have to.

I have to keep reminding myself that if I want to keep this job.

"The last thing I'm going to say on the subject is that I will only be telling Melissa things from now on. Everything that has to be said to her will be said by me."

Good. That leaves us out of it, and she can really know she can trust us.

I deserved being suspected the other night. After this, I shouldn't be for anything like this ever again.

Gibbs looks us each in our eyes. "Does anyone have anything to say? This is your chance."

The others look at me again.

I don't say anything.

I don't shake my head.

Tony speaks from the other end of the elevator. "As long as there's no more secrets I'm fine. No more lies."

Yeah. I agree.

He doesn't address it. He looks down and turns around. "Nice ring McGee."

I can tell he says as a snide comment.

I move my neck around, thinking it would stop me from saying something, but feeling Ziva's hand on my arm and seeing Tony step forward stop me.

"I think so. It suits him well along with hers."

He turns back around to face Tony and doesn't say anything. I don't either. I just stand here looking smug that he now knows, and he can't do anything about it.

He missed out on the beginning of her life. I didn't have to ask him permission to ask for her hand in marriage. I most certainly did not have to ask James. Melissa would have freaked if I did. I'm not sure if she's even spoken to him since that night. I doubt it.

I didn't have to ask either of them just like she didn't ask for the life she was given.

The life he gave her.

Gibbs doesn't say anything. He turns around and switches the elevator back on. It opens to our floor and he leaves saying, "Get ready for paperwork."

Ziva follows his lead and I'm lagging behind Tony.

"Tony." He turns around and lets me catch up to him.

He meant it that night when he told me he had my back through it all. When we told him, his reaction, and now with this father daughter thing happening, Tony really has had my back.

"Thanks for everything." I tell him.

He smirks and pats me on the shoulder.

"You got it Probie."

He walks to his desk.

I'm left behind feeling good that this happened. He didn't ignore it this time. He told us what it was and how he was going to handle it from there on out.

I can't help but wonder what he meant when he told us not to assume anything from their pasts. He wasn't involved in her past. What could he possibly mean? I understand it's out of my hands now and I'm thankful I only have to worry about her feelings once again.

How much is this man hiding?

I'm interrupted when I feel my phone vibrate and take it out of my pocket.

It's from Melissa.

Can you come to my office after work to get me?

Like she even has to ask.