Chapter 50

(Rogers Story line: What Really Happens: Chapters 17-20 )

Melissa's POV:

"This coffee date is better late than never." Roger says as he gives me a mug of coffee. He offered Jack an endless amount of tea and gave him Ginger Lemon.

"I know. I'm sorry about that." I'm so glad he remembered the coffee part because I know I need it.

"But a Psychologist, that's amazing. You're now listening to people's problem instead of investigating tragedy. I would say you won in many ways."

Roger welcomed me into his home with open arms. He even welcome Jack with a hug instead of a friendly handshake for a greeting. He asked me what was going on while he was getting the coffee ready. Following that question he also asked how work was and I told him my new position.

"It's great. I love it. It helps that I have Jack by my side from time to time to help me through the motions."

Roger lifts his cup to cheers with Jack. As I looks round the kitchen I remember being in here with Gibbs and Fornell and why we were in here.

"How are you doing?" I ask him.

"I've been holding it together."

Jack sips his tea and asks a question he's been wanting to ask since he got here. "How do you guys know each other?"

I hand the mic off to Roger. This is his story to tell.

He doesn't look bother by Jacks question. "Basically, my son was murdered by my then girlfriend and Melissa and the team were the ones to figure it out. Though, I give full credit to Melissa because she figured it out on her own."

I can tell by the look on Jacks face that he didn't expect that answer.

"I'm sorry about that."

"Thank you. Healing has been hard but after over a year I've finally made peace with myself and the loss."

I knew Roger was the type of man to say that. The moment I met him, he held himself well even after losing his son. He's a mature guy and I don't run into many of those where I'm from. I'm lucky I got Tim, I'm luckier than ever.

"Made any new lady friends within that year?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "Oh, no. I decided it was better to focus on myself because I never really got the chance to with the way I grew up."

He knows I can relate to that. I'm proud of him. I'm not going to lie I was hoping he would have said yes and made sure it was a good one. I have to say I like this answer better.

"What about you? What brings you over here after a year?"

I've waited long enough to bring this up. Somehow, I found the courage yesterday to take charge, and the courage is still with me. Even after me and Tim completely butted heads last night.