Chapter 22

Melissa's POV:

Melissa's POV:

"Hello?"

"We need to talk." I say over the phone. "You know where to go and I'm already here."

I hang up the phone without saying goodbye. What's the point if I'm going to see him in two seconds?

This was the plan I thought of yesterday. It's the easiest way to get everything out on the table. I didn't want things to be like this, but I don't see how there can be another way.

I'm cold, but it's going to have to do. Also, I have to pray that no one is going to try and use this elevator before he gets here.

Luckily, when the button is pressed, it starts going towards the squad room. I hope it's for him and no one else that can get wrapped up into this bullshit.

When the door opens, it's him. The man that I wanted it to be. It's as if my life is turning around. I wish I could say I'm happy to see him, but that just isn't the case. I'm just thankful we don't have to wait for other passengers to get off before we can talk.

Once the door closes, he flips the switch to turn the elevator off. When he turns to me, the tiniest touch of light we have in here, still shows off the blueness of his eyes. His gray hair is still shiny like it was last time. I'm making it seem like I haven't seen him in years. It sure does feel that way.

"I'm glad you called." He fills the room with his words to join the awkward tension in here.

"Me too." I am. It's nice to see him in this light. Not the elevator, but I'm not as mad as I was a couple minutes ago. I feel like now that it's just us and no one to interrupt or just have their eyes on us, that this is what we actually needed.

"I need to know if there's any more secrets."

He doesn't move. "There is."

"Well, this is it." I stand my ground and this time I have no tears in my eyes. "You either let them all out here now, or you keep them forever."

"Melissa."

"I'm not saying that they won't change anything. What I'm saying is that I don't want to hear them later in life when I finally figured my life out again just to have it messed up by more secrets." I'm still tear free. This feels right.

He slightly shakes his head. "Okay."

"But I need to know one thing before you tell me anything."

He changes his stance and tries to lift his head high. I know in these situations we have no idea what to expect. Now he knows what it feels like to be in my shoes.

"Why did you never check on me?"

He sighs as his shoulders fall. He can no longer stand still. He's rubbing his hands over his face and the whole dynamic has changed. "Melissa, I told you I went through a lot after that."