Chapter 105

Tim's POV:

Tim's POV:

When Melissa came down the stairs to talk to Gibbs, I couldn't believe what she said.

She knew that Juice missed killing all of them on purpose. I could have lost her that day for real. I knew back then that putting her and Ziva as a decoy wasn't a good idea.

When I first heard that Juice was back, the shootout was the first thing I thought about. I remember when it happened, we had no idea where it was coming from. They had the area surrounded and we were outnumbered. When it happened, Ziva tackled Melissa to protect her, then, from where we were positioned, I saw that Melissa's wasn't moving. I didn't know it at the time, but it was because her arm was hurt from the impact of Ziva. All I saw was Ziva dragging her inside, while Sean had Adam. Or was it the other way around?

All I remember is that I almost lost her, and I'm not prepared to do that again. I can't go through those emotions of wanting someone dead because she was taken away from me.

I don't know if I can do it again.

Melissa is chasing after Gibbs to continue to convince him further to let her on this case. I want to stop her, but to me it looks like he isn't budging.

"I can't believe this." Ziva says as she starts pacing in front of her desk. "We should have known. I should have known. How could I be so naïve."

Tony comes to stand next to me. "You didn't know this?"

I shake my head. "I mean Ziva's right. How could we think that we just got lucky and Adam only got shot in the foot? That's something we should have picked up immediately."

"I got too emotional about this case." Ziva continues. "Them attacking my home blinded me to what was obvious and right in front of me."

"Hey." Tony goes over to her and put his hands on her shoulders. "All of our emotions were high. We could have lost you guys. We don't plan to do it again."

She takes a breath and shakes her head. I see her turn in my direction as I start to walk back towards my desk. "How about you, Tim? Do you think Gibbs is going to let her work with us?"

"I don't want her to, but I can't control her, and we know I can't control what Gibbs does, but from what we just saw I don't think it's going to happen."

"I don't know Probie. She was giving a good agreement. She even cleared it with Jack before clearing it with Gibbs."

"And as you saw that didn't go well."

Tony laughs. "Who knows. Maybe she'll pull the daughter card and he'll just let her be there but not do anything."

Ziva and I just stare at Tony. He knows what's coming. He walked right into that one. "He's right behind me, isn't he?"

He knows he is when Gibbs slaps him in the back of the head. "For your information Melissa will be working with us, when I say, and when she doesn't have an appointment with anyone."

"But boss." I begin to say, but know it isn't worth it when he's made up his mind.

"You'll be taking the first position with her tonight McGee."

Tony laughs and Ziva hits him in the chest. Sadly, we all knew what he was thinking.

"What do you mean?"

"You're going to take your car into her old town tonight and see if you hear anything or see anything suspicious. They're back and we have to be one step ahead every time."

He leaves us in the squad room leaving us with only that information.

"It shouldn't be long before they act."

"That's what I'm nervous about."

"Don't worry Probie." Tony comes to pat me on the back. "I'm sure she knows what she's doing. This isn't her first rodeo."

I know it's not her first, I just don't want it to be her last.

Tim's POV:

"It's just I told you to leave it to us and you ignored it." I'm getting ready for the stake out Melissa and I are about to do. Let's just say I'm not happy about it.

"Tim, I know." She's sitting on the bed as I'm in the closet. "It's just they hurt us enough and I want this to be over. They hurt you, me, Ziva, Adam. What else do you want them to do?"

"I don't know, maybe not physically hurt you." I throw the jacket I thought about wearing on the floor. I didn't think the drive for her to do this would get me like this. Gibbs said she'll be around some of the time, but not always. That way she will be safe, and we'll know what to do. It wasn't until we were on the way home that she will be doing this every night with one of us in the car with her. That's what got me mad is that Gibbs made it seem like it was a one time thing, but no. It's until we catch them.

"I know you're mad at me but if you could put that aside for tonight while I guide you around town, that would be appreciated."

I sigh and walk out of the closet. I see her sitting on the edge of the bed with her face in her hands.

"Hey." I sit next to her and wrap my arm around her. "I'm not mad at you. I just don't want you hurt."

She takes her face out of her hand. "Don't you think I want the same for you? You go out there every day and I don't know what you're doing or who's near you and what they can do. I don't want you hurt either and if this brings me closer to you as an extra, then I'm going to do it."

She finishes her sentence and I kiss her. She places her hands on my face and I hold hers too. They're soft and taste like strawberries. This is going to be the last time I can probably do this tonight.

"I didn't think of it like that before." I didn't think about how she has to always let me go out there in the world and hope I just come back. Even I forget sometimes that it isn't a guarantee for me.

"Just do me a favor." She looks at me with her wide eyes. "Don't get out of the car tonight and let the guy with the gun do the protecting."

She smiles at me. "Fine. Only because the guy with the gun is kind of cute."