172.

May was almost falling asleep in the car on the way home after the party. Little Elise had been so sleepy at the end, curling up in Eddy's lap. She had gotten so many nice presents, including some finger paint from Belle, a big puzzle mat with composers on it from her dads and and a bunch of new clothes from them. It had been a great party.

"We're home, love," Ray informed her as they pulled into the parking spot outside their apartment building. He reached over to stroke her thigh, making her jump a little.

"Oh! Oh, yeah, yeah," May yawned, rubbing her eyes a little. She had been a halfway between sleeping and lost in her own thoughts thinking about Elise being so insistent about there being a baby in her belly. It had been mentioned a few times afterwards too, and she had told anyone who would listen too.

"I'll tuck you into bed when we get upstairs," Ray said, leaning over to kiss the side of her head before unbuckling his seat belt. May carefully did the same, but slower. She had her thoughts elsewhere.

"Uh... Ray? Before we go in... Can you do something for me?" May asked, checking the time on her phone quickly. It wasn't that late, the pharmacy down the street would be open still.

"Anything, love," Ray said softly, furrowing his brows with worry like he always did when she used that quiet, careful tone. It usually meant something was wrong.

"Will you buy me a pregnancy test?"

Ray blinked a few times, and May felt so worried she had finally found the boundary with Ray. The line she tended to cross to make people abandon her. It had happened before with other people, with her parents, with her childhood best friend. She didn't want that to happen with Ray.

"D... Do you think you are...?" Ray stuttered, running a hand through his hair. May felt sick now, but not in the way she normally did. She was scared. Ray probably didn't want a child, at least not yet, which in her mind meant he would leave her if she was.

"I don't, I just need to be sure," May said quickly, not daring to look up at Ray. Was he angry? She didn't hear any anger in his tone, but she hadn't in her father's tone before he kicked her out either. "Elise seemed so sure, and... You know, kids sometimes just know stuff..."

"Okay, yeah, I can do that," Ray nodded, reaching over to stroke her thigh again for a moment before opening the car door. "Do you wanna go upstairs while I go do that?"

May got herself out of the car, considering it for a moment. She didn't think he would run off, but the thought was still there. She hadn't been this anxious since the conversation with her parents that got her thrown on the streets at the ripe age of eighteen years old.

"Uh, yeah, I can wait upstairs. Thank you, Ray," May said quietly, closing the car door just in time to feel Ray's arms sneaking around her from behind. Again she jumped, not having seen him walk around the car.

"May mine, you know I love you yeah?" Ray said softly, kissing her cheek. "So much."

"I know, Ray. I love you too," May mumbled, turning in his arms to hug him back. "Thank you, again."