20.

Elise began crying as the adults around her scrambled to see what was going on. She was handed over to Eddy first when Belle decided to go check if the fuses had blown, but then she was handed to Brett when Eddy decided to try and find some candles to make it nice.

"Doesn't seem like the problem is local," Belle informed them as she got back to the living room. Brett rocked Elise gently as she cried about the calm being pulled out by the roots. Sitting up was making him feel sick again.

"So it's a waiting game, then," Eddy shrugged, closing a drawer. "Got any candles?"

Half an hour later, the three of them sat in a circle on the floor letting Elise practice walking from one to the other while always holding onto someone. The dim room soothed Brett's nausea to the point where sitting up at being human didn't feel like the world would end.

"Wanna come to auntie Belle?" Belle said in a happy voice, causing Elise to giggle and try and walk towards her with unsteady steps while holding onto Eddy's arm. "Yeah, come on you got this!"

Brett watched his daughter as she let Eddy's arm go for a second only to fall forward into Belle's. She was getting so big. It felt like it was only a few days since she was sleeping on his chest while they listened to Sibelius.

"Come hug baba?" Brett asked Elise who had been propped up on her feet again and holding onto Belle's hand. He held out his arms so she could grab onto it if she wanted. She tried to reach for it but fell on her butt with a surprised look.

"Oopsie!" Eddy chuckled next to him, and Belle helped her back up. "Go to baba now, Li-Li."

"Hah, I knew that nickname would stick," Belle grinned as she helped Elise move closer to Brett so she could grab his arm with a squeal. Brett pulled his daughter into a hug and kissed her face. He may not get to do that forever, so he thought he'd do it now.

"It's cute, as you said," Eddy chuckled with a shrug. "Do you mind it, Brett?"

"Not at all," Brett said, letting Elise try and get on her feet on her own by supporting herself on his knee and arm. "I don't know if I'll use it anytime soon, though."

"Come here, baby," Eddy grinned at Elise, who still held onto Brett's arm and honestly supported most her weight on it as well.

"Baaaaahhh!" Elise shrieked at him followed by a flow of giggles before falling back into Brett's lap. Brett chuckled softly and kissed her head.

"You wanna sit with baba for a bit and take a break?" he asked her, but she was already distracted by looking at his hand and trying to lift it.

"Looks like it's break time with baba," Belle said with a smile, beginning to pull her hair into a ponytail.

"Maybe we should get some food anyway?" Eddy suggested, and Brett didn't really pay attention after that. He didn't want to think about food, he just wanted to have a nice time with his daughter.