174.

"The pharmacy lady said to get two, just in case," Ray told her softly, kissing her forehead again as he handed her the little plastic bag. He felt nervous, but in a good way. The thought that she may be pregnant was oddly exciting despite them having decided to wait.

"I'll take both then, just to be sure," May said quietly, looking like she was about to pass out. He wanted to pull her into a hug, let her know it would be okay no matter what the results were, but she disappeared into the bathroom before he could. Instead he slowly went to sit down on the edge of their bed and folded his hands in his lap.

How long did it even take to take a pregnancy test? Ray didn't know, but each passing second made him more nervous. The thought of May with a baby that would be their baby made his heart skip fifteen beats. He loved the thought of that! He loved the idea of being a dad, he loved kids.

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Ray," he interrupted his own train of thought out loud, laying back on the bed and running a hand through his own hair. "She said she wasn't ready for that yet, you've had the conversation about it."

He closed his eyes for a moment. Would May abort the baby if she was pregnant? Of course he would support her no matter what, and of course she would be the one to make that decision, but... it would kind of hurt a bit. Just a little. He knew it was a silly, hypothetical thought, but still. Would she?

"Shut up, brain," Ray muttered to himself, sitting up again and rubbing his eyes. "It's all hypothetical, she probably isn't pregnant. She's probably just sick."

He looked up when a squeak was heard through the bathroom door, and he was quick to his feet. Surely she couldn't be..?

"How's it going?" Ray asked her softly through the door after a short knock. He rested his forehead against the door, feeling shaky from the nervousness.

"The first test said I'm not pregnant, but the second test was faulty," May informed him through the door. "Just said 'error'."

It was difficult to know how to react. If he was completely honest, he'd probably admit he was a bit disappointed. There was no way he was going to show her that, though, unless she was too. He didn't need her to feel any guilt. It wasn't like they couldn't try for that later.

She came out of the bathroom, looking about ready to cry so Ray pulled her into a hug. He felt her bury her face in his shoulder.

"It's good to know," Ray mumbled, stroking her back carefully. His poor girl. Was she disappointed too? Was she just so relieved? "I love you."

"I love you too, Ray," May mumbled softly, hugging him back tightly. He stroke her back carefully, trying to judge if she was relieved or disappointed. It was so difficult to tell.

"Let's go to bed, love," Ray suggested softly, kissing her forehead. She had been so tired all day, so she definitely needed the sleep. He was full of adrenaline, but he'd hold her at least. His poor, sick girl. "Get some proper rest."

"Okay," May said quietly, pulling back from the hug. "Sorry I scared you, by the way."

"You didn't, May mine. It's okay."