17.

"Bretty, love?" Eddy whispered, kissing his forehead. It was almost two at night, and he was woken up himself by his phone vibrating under his pillow. Now it was time to check Brett was okay, that he could be woken up.

"What?" Brett whined, trying to hide his face halfway under the covers.

"Just checking you're okay, baby. Where are you right now?" Eddy asked softly brushing his bangs to the side followed by a yawn.

"In the arms of the kindest man in the world. London. Earth. I don't know what kind of answer you want," Brett grunted, shifting slightly. "Can I sleep again now?"

"Yeah baby, I'll wake you again in a few hours," Eddy said, kissing the top of his head. "Nighty."

He didn't get an answer to that. Only soft snores from Brett.

...

Two and a half hours later, Eddy's alarm went off again. He moved carefully to turn it off before looking down at Brett who had moved to lie next to him with his forehead resting against his shoulder.

He didn't want to wake him, the poor boy who tried to starve himself for Eddy's approval. It felt so wrong, but he could see how ironic it was that their roles were reversed. Here Brett was trying to be good enough for Eddy after years of Eddy trying to be good enough for Brett.

Eddy reached his hand out and gently caressed Brett's cheek with his thumb. He wished all bad thoughts would go away and leave Brett alone.
"Bretty mine?" he whispered, pressing a kiss to his forehead. He watched as Brett's eyes fluttered open, looking up at him at him with a confused look.

"Hm?" he asked with a sigh, closing his eyes again and intertwining his fingers with Eddy's.

"Just checking that you're okay, love," Eddy explained softly, caressing the back of his hand. "Who's in the room with you right now?"

Brett sighed, just wanting to sleep for a bit more.
"My lovely boyfriend Eddy Chen, that's you, and our beautiful daughter Elise Chen. Belle Chen, your sister, is in the next room. Anything else?" he mumbled, shifting slightly.

"Yeah, want me to spoon you?" Eddy asked, kissing his forehead again. Brett didn't answer, but turned around so Eddy could scoot close behind him.

"I love you," Eddy mumbled, kissing his neck as he snuck his arms around him. Holding Brett was wonderful.

"I love you too. Thank you for taking care of me," Brett mumbled, half asleep. Eddy smiled against Brett's neck.

"Of course, love. I promise I'll take care of you forever, okay? Promise," Eddy whispered, closing his eyes. He listened as Brett's breathing slowed and evened out as he drifted back off to sleep.

Eddy kept himself awake for a bit longer, just to make sure he was okay. Brett's words from the night played through his head as he slowly lost the battle with his heavy eyemids. Brett was always so sweet to him, always saying the right thing.

Eventually, he drifted off too, hugging his boyfriend closer.