40.

Eddy couldn't help but notice that Brett felt increasingly off the few days after Leonora had been there, and it definitely pulled him down from the clouds. He didn't understand why he was like this at all.

Belle had went out with a friend that evening. Or well, Eddy knew from her get up that this wasn't just a friend, but it was obvious she didn't want to tell him who so he didn't ask. He was just happy to get some time with Brett alone while Elise slept so he could ask him what was up.

If Elise would sleep, that was.

"Bababababaaaa!" she shrieked, trying to wrangle herself out of first Brett's arms and then Eddy's arms once Brett had handed her to him, figuring she just didn't want to be with him right then. Neither of them understood why she was like this, but thought maybe she was just tired or missed Belle or something. Belle had been putting her to bed the last few days after all.

"Babygirl, what's wrong?" Eddy sighed, trying to rock her so she'd calm down. Brett came up to them and handed Eddy sharkie, the only thing they knew could be wrong in her little world, but she tossed him away.

She eventually tired herself out trying to get herself out of their arms and settled to just crying in Eddy's arms. Eddy had sat down on the bed, holding her and rocking them gently back and forth.

"I wish I knew what was wrong, baby. I wish you had the words to tell me," he mumbled softly, wiping the tears from her cheek. She was getting drowsy now, but still refused to fall asleep.

Brett came into the room to see how it was going, amd crawled onto the bed to sit next to Eddy. He rested his head on Eddy's shoulder, looking down at their daughter. Their beautiful daughter.

"You wanna know what I'm scared of, Eddy?" Brett whispered as Elise slowly lost the fight with her heavy eyelids. Eddy brushed her bangs to the side.

"What are you scared of, Bretty mine?" Eddy asked, turning to look at him. Brett licked his lips nervously.

"I'm scared I won't be able to love a second child like I love her," he whispered, closing his eyes. That was the truth, but it wasn't the whole truth. It left out the whole reasoning of him not being their biological father, the fear that Eddy would focus more on the new baby than on her even if he didn't mean to.

"I mean, other parents have mire children and they still love all of them?" Eddy said, kissing Brett's cheek before scooting himself off the bed to put Elise in her crib.

"Yeah, I know, I just... I don't know, I'm probably just overthinking it," Brett sighed, deciding to shut up. Eddy didn't need to have to worry about that as well, and they had already decided they were having another child. That Eddy was having another child.

Logically, he knew that his relationship with this new child would be no different than Eddy's relationship with Elise. In theory, he should be even closer with the new child than Eddy was with Elise, because they actually decided to have it together. He couldn't shake the feeling of being completely unnecessary, though, that was the issue.

"No, no, it's a valid worry," Eddy said, going over to him and taking his hand between his. "Let's go talk about it. I'll make some tea, yeah?"

"Okay," Brett sighed, even though he knew he wasn't saying anything else. No need to worry Eddy.