46.

The smell of cinnamon and baking cake had filled the apartment by the time Eddy and Belle came back. Eddy inhaled and smiled at the lovely scent as he put the plastic bag of party supplies and their birthday present to her to the side and kicked his shoes off.

"We're back, Bretty," Eddy said out loud, and Brett stuck his head out from the kitchen with Elise on his arm. The small, slightly unsure smile on his lips made Eddy raise an eyebrow at him.

"Ahhh!" Elise shrieked once she spotted Belle, and Belle happily lifted her out of Brett's arms to kiss her happy face. Brett on the other hand went up to Eddy and carefully pulled him into a hug.

"What's up love? Something wrong?" Eddy asked softly, kissing the top of his head. Brett chuckled softly and shook his head.

"No, no, nothing," Brett hummed, still not letting the hug go. "I just wanted a calm moment with you before I tell you the news."

Eddy furrowed his eyebrows, pulling slightly back to look at Brett.
"What news?" he asked, caressing his cheek. Was something wrong?

Brett couldn't help his smile. He had never guessed how nice it was to get to be the one to tell Eddy. To actually be somewhat important, the guy with the information.
He placed a hand behind Eddy's neck and pulled him down so he could whisper in his ear.
"She's pregnant."

At first it looked like Eddy didn't understand what he had said, but slowly as his words sunk in a smile widened on his face.

"She is?"

"She said she was late, that she had taken a test, and that she's got a doctor's appointment next week," Brett said, his smile matching Eddy's. He was so happy Eddy was happy.

"Oh my god," Eddy squeaked, hugging Brett again and giggling softly in hus ear. "We're gonna be parents again, Brett."

"We are," Brett confirmed, hugging Eddy back. Eddy was happy, and Brett felt... Well, oddly neutral about it. He still worried about not being able to bond the same way, he worried about Elise having to share their attention, about losing each other, but it still felt like it was a good thing. "And Elise is gonna be a big sister. I did tell her, but I don't think she understands."

"She will. She's still so little, and I don't think she knows what a sibling is," Eddy said with a soft chuckle. "We'll figure it out."

"I hope so," Brett exhaled, hugging Eddy again. "I love you so much."

Eddy hugged Brett tightly back with a wide smile on his face.
"I love you too, Bretty mine. Thank you for doing this with me even though you're hesitant. I understand it's difficult to not be biologically related, yeah? But I promise it'll be worth it."

"Okay, Eddy. I trust you," Brett mumbled, closing his eyes. Eddy was happy, and he hoped he would be properly happy too eventually.