Good Luck Charm-Steve Harrington

The summer between junior and senior year, something weird happened. Whatever it was, some kids came back to school acting differently; there was a group of kids a few years younger than me that I didn't know well enough, and a few kids my age. I wasn't super close to them, but everyone knows Nancy Wheeler, Steve Harrington, and Johnathan Byers.

The one who changed the most was Steve Harrington.

School started and we became chemistry partners. Before the mysterious summer, he would've expected me to do all the work. We got partnered up in history last year and that's exactly what he did. But this year, he's actually been pulling his own weight. He even asked me to tutor him so he could stay on the basketball team.

When I started tutoring Steve, he started paying more attention to me. He started talking to me outside of class. He started inviting me to hang out without it being a tutoring session. He started sitting with me at lunch on a daily basis. We quickly became friends. And soon, I noticed he started hanging out with me when he would usually hang out with his team.

One night, we were studying for our midterm and he seemed distracted.

~•~

"What's wrong?" I asked when I caught him staring at me for the tenth time.

"Nothing," he stuttered as he quickly looked away from me.

"Steve?" I said his name, trying to get his attention. "Talk to me. Are you worried about the midterm Friday? Because, honestly, I think you're gonna do great. Every practice problem we've done, you've aced. I haven't even had to help you with the last two questions. You have everything you need to pass and. . ."

"It's not the test," he cut me off.

"It's not?" I quickly cleared my throat and looked back down at our textbook. "Then what is it?"

"You."

I looked up at him with wide eyes as I struggled to figure out what he meant. "Me?" I asked. "How have I. . . I didn't mean. . . I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" He chuckled. "You have nothing to be sorry for, Y/N. I didn't mean to make you think that you'd done something wrong."

He looked away from me and sighed. Without looking up from the textbook, Steve reached over and grabbed my hand.

"When I said that you were distracting me, I meant it more positive than it came across."

"I don't understand," I whispered. He looked up at me with a strange look in his eyes.

"Y/N," he whispered.

"What's going on?" I asked when he didn't say anything other than my name. "You're starting to really worry me, Steve. Whatever it is, just say it."

"I have feelings for you," he blurted out. My eyes widened as I wrapped my head around his confession.

"How?"

That kind of slipped out, but it made Steve smile.

"What do you mean 'how'?

"How could you have feelings for me?" I asked under my breath. "You're Steve "the Hair" Harrington. And I'm. . . How?"

Steve let out a small laugh. I held my breath as he reached over and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. As he lowered his hand, he shrugged.

"How could I not?"

~•~

Steve took me out on our first date the next night. It was the perfect first date. He was sweet. He was a gentleman. He made me laugh. I made him laugh. And he never did anything to make me feel uncomfortable. When he dropped me off, he walked me up to my front door. Before I went inside, he kissed me on the cheek.