Personal Nurse-Steve Harrington

Requested by Sophia742107

I ran my fingers through my wet hair, cringing when I found a knot. Sighing, I grabbed my brush and ran it through my hair a couple more times. I hummed the song that's been stuck in my head the last three days as I finished getting ready for bed.

As I brushed my teeth, my mind roamed to Steve. The last couple of days he's been kinda weird. Steve and I grew up together. Our moms met in a Mommy and Me class. After that class, we grew up inseparable. When we got to high school, I noticed he started to change.

I'm not sure how to really explain it. He went from being my best friend who wants to constantly be by my side to more of a security guard who has to be by my side. He seems a little bit more protective of me.

Whenever a guy looks at me, Steve snaps. Whenever a guy talks to me, Steve snaps. Whenever I have to work on a group project with another guy, Steve snaps. Whenever a guy talks about me, Steve snaps.

Maybe he just didn't want me to embarrass him. When we got to high school, Steve made the high school basketball team. That's when he started to change how he acted around me. It mainly happened at school. When we were studying or hanging out at home, Steve was his old self. It wasn't until we got to school that he changed.

I had just finished putting lotion on my face when there was a weird knock. I looked over but my bedroom door was closed. It wasn't until it happened again that I realized it was coming from my window. I turned around, my stomach doing a weird flip when I saw Steve outside my window.

It wasn't him outside my window that made my stomach flip. Ever since he was tall enough, Steve was constantly climbing up the side of my house and sneaking in through my window. What made my stomach flip was the fact that Steve looked like he had just gone head-to-head against another one of those damn demogorgons.

I ran over to the window, practically tearing the curtains off the wall and forcing the window open.

"What happened to you?" I panicked as I carefully pulled him inside.

"I'm fine," he cringed as he landed on his feet. I knew he was lying but I was too focused on trying to stop my best friend from bleeding.

I had him sit down on the edge of my bed before running to my bathroom. I grabbed the first aid kit from under my sink and ran back to Steve.

"What happened to you, Steve?" I tried to ask again.

"I'm fine," he said again. I ignored the annoying feeling in my stomach as I fell into my usual routine of fixing his face.

This was, sadly, usual for us. I went through and cleaned his wounds. The ones that were too deep, I carefully bandaged them.

"Will you please tell me what happened to you?" I tried again.

"I already told you. . ."

"I know but. . ."

"I said I was fine," he snapped. I froze at his sudden change in mood. I resisted the urge to clear my throat and continued cleaning the wound on his cheek. If the look in Steve's eyes changed, I didn't see it. Instead, I focused on what I was doing.

When I was done, I did what I usually do; I over-examine his wounds to make sure I didn't miss a spot. Steve caught on and reached up, gently grabbing my wrists.

"I'm fine," he said softly.

"Are you sure?" I stuttered. "You don't usually look this bad, Steve. And you always tell me what happened."

"I promise," he smiled. "Thank you for helping me. I can always count on you, Y/N."

I opened my mouth to say something but decided against it. Instead, I focused on cleaning up the bandage wrappers and the used gauze. The entire time I cleaned, Steve watched me.

"I know you're mad," he chuckled.

"Of course I'm mad," I sighed. "My best friend shows up, beaten to a pulp, and whenever I ask him what's wrong, he says he's fine."

"Y/N," Steve said, slightly sitting up.

"It's fine," I cleared my throat.

"It's clearly not," he mumbled. I glanced over at him with a knowing look.

Steve grabbed my hand, stopping me from walking away. He pulled me next to him, his hand still gripping mine.

"Look," he sighed, "the reason I don't want to tell you is because I know you."

"Thanks?"

"I meant I know how you would react."

"What happened, Steve?" I asked, not able to hide my anger. "Because I'm sure that whatever I'm imagining is way worse than what actually happened. So please, put me out of my misery and. . ."

"I got into a fight with Tommy," he rushed out.

"You what?"

"Tommy and I got into a fight," Steve repeated.

"Why?"

He sighed as he looked down at our hands. I held my breath as he hesitated to continue.

"Steve?" I pushed. He looked up at me with guilt in his eyes.

"Because of you," he whispered.

"Me?"

"You."

"What did I do?"

"Nothing," he said quickly. "It wasn't anything you did, Y/N. It was Tommy. He was running his mouth about you."

"He was?" I stuttered. "What was he saying?"

"Just that you've gotten hotter over the years."

"And that's a bad thing?"

Steve didn't seem to hear me as he stood up and started pacing back and forth. "He kept running his mouth, talking about how one day, some guy is going to see how hot you've become and he'll swoop in and steal you away. The very thought of some asshole taking you from me infuriates me, Y/N. And he kept talking. He started talking about how the guy would first take your attention, then would take you on a date, then he would take your time, then he would take things seriously. And things would get so serious that I would never see you again."

I stood in front of him, stopping him from pacing back and forth. I grabbed his hands, pulling him closer to me.

"Steve, breathe," I said softly. "I don't care what guy comes around. I would never leave you like that. You're the most important person in the world to me. I'm not going to ditch you for some guy."

"He wouldn't come first?"

"Of course not," I chuckled. "Any guy I date will have to be pre-approved by you and will have to deal with me hanging out with you. If he doesn't like you, then he and I are going to have a problem. I can't date a guy who doesn't like my best friend."

Steve cut me off by letting go of my hand and grabbing my face. I gasped as he pressed his lips to mine. I waited for the shock to wear off but it didn't. My head was spinning as I slowly started kissing him back. I felt him smile as our lips moved in sync.

We broke the kiss, instantly looking into each other's eyes. My head was still spinning.

"For the record," he whispered, "Best Friend Steve approves of Boyfriend Steve?"

"Boyfriend Steve?" I gasped.

"If you'll have me," he shrugged. I bit my bottom lip, chewing on it as I thought about his offer. He smiled as I slowly nodded. I felt heat rush to my face as Steve wrapped his arms around my body, pulling me closer.

"How about we make it official? Tomorrow night?"

"What happens tomorrow night?" I whispered.

"Our first date," he chuckled.

"I'll be there."