No Bun in the Oven-Joe Keery

Tumblr Request by prettygirllllll

I held my breath as I waited the two minutes. As time ticked by, I thought of all the other tests and the disappointment that always followed.

Joe and I have been married for three years. Ever since our first wedding anniversary, we've been trying to get pregnant. And with each negative test, I felt like I was losing myself. With each negative test, I couldn't understand how Joe wasn't losing faith in me.

Over the last two years, Joe has always been positive. He's always believed that we would get pregnant and never lost hope. Whenever a test came back negative, Joe went out of his way to try and make me feel better. Sometimes he cooked us dinner. Sometimes we went for a romantic walk. Sometimes we simply sat at home and watched one of our comfort movies.

I slowly slid off the edge of the bathtub until I was sitting on the ground when I saw the negative sign. The longer I stared at it, the harder it got to hold back my sob. When the sob finally released, it came out so rough it hurt my throat.

The sob took over my body until I was laying on the cold bathroom floor. I didn't care about how pathetic this was. I was completely and overly defeated and I wanted to let it out. I don't know when I finally stopped crying, but when I did, I didn't move. I remained on the floor for a while. I heard the front door open and close, but I remained where I was.

"Y/N?" I heard Joe's voice come from downstairs. "I'm home."

I didn't have the strength to get off the bathroom floor, so I just waited for him to find me. I could hear him jogging up the stairs. I closed my eyes, silent tears streaming down my face as I heard our bedroom door open.

"Sweetheart, you in here?"

My breath got stuck in my throat when he softly knocked on the bathroom door.

"Y/N?"

"I'm here," I said weakly. I opened my eyes when the door opened.

"Y/N!" Joe gasped. He ran to my side and knelt next to me. He gently reached down and moved some hair out of my face.

"Y/N, are you okay?"

Instead of answering him, I handed him the negative pregnancy test. He looked at it before instantly looking at me. He smiled sweetly as he gently grabbed me, sat me up, and pulled me into his arms.

We leaned against our bathtub and enjoyed the silence. Joe reached up and ran his fingers through my hair.

"Don't give up," he whispered. "Someday we'll see those two pink lines. I know it."

* * * * *

A couple of days later, I was still deep in my depression episode. This meant I called in sick to work, stayed in my pj's, and drank more wine than I should. I looked over my shoulder as Joe walked into the house.

"Hey, gorgeous," he smiled at me as he hung his keys by the door. He kicked off his shoes before sitting next to me on the couch.

"How's my girl?" He asked as he started to rub my ankles.

"I'm in the same spot you left me five hours ago," I mumbled. "What do you think?"

Joe sighed before moving so he was laying behind me. He tightened his arm around my waist and snuggled into my neck.

"Darling," he whispered, "you can't keep beating yourself up about this. We are going to have a baby. It might take some time, but lots of couples struggle to get pregnant. We've already gone to the doctor. He says to keep trying but. . . I think we should stop."