Checking On You-Steve Harrington

I was busy making the kids something to eat while Joyce and Johnathan were comforting Will. Hopper was talking about what to do and where to send help. I looked into the other room, my eyes falling on Steve. He had his arms crossed over his chest. Then I saw it.

He reached up with one hand and grabbed his nose before refolding his arms. My heart sank as I knew exactly what he was thinking. I watched him turn around and walk out the kitchen door. I quickly put the sandwiches on plates and gave them to the kids. I wiped my hands on a towel before chasing after him.

"Are you okay?" I asked softly as I walked out onto the veranda. I instantly shoved my hands into my back pockets.

"I'm fine," he said with his back still to me.

"Steve," I whispered. "Please talk to me. You're my best friend. I know you better than anyone."

"Then if you know me so well," he said angrily as he quickly turned around, "then why are you asking me? You should already know."

As soon as the words left his mouth and his angry outburst went away, his face dropped. He took a step toward me and tried to grab my hands but I wrapped my arms around myself.

"I do know you," I mumbled. "And I think I know what's going on."

"Really?" Steve asked under his breath.

"It's just," I hesitated. "What if you. . . It might be because. . . Actually, never mind."

I tried to leave but he grabbed my hand. I held my breath as he pulled me closer.

"Please tell me," he whispered, "because I can't figure it out for the life of me. So if you know, please tell me, Y/N."

"Watching Will's family rally around him is painful for you," I confessed.

"Why would it be. . ."

"Because it reminds you of the type of parental and family love that you don't have," I said as I slowly lowered my voice. "I'm sorry," I stuttered. "That was way across the line. I shouldn't have said that. I'm probably wrong. I'm so sorry, Steve. I'm gonna go."

Before I could leave, Steve pulled me into his chest and wrapped his arms around me. I smiled as I wrapped my arms around him.

"You're right," he whispered, "but also wrong."

He broke our hug, instantly grabbing my hands. He slightly started swinging them back and forth.

"What do you mean?" I whispered.

"You were right when you said it was painful for me to watch Joyce and Johnathan and the other kids work to take care of Will," Steve explained. "But you were wrong when you said that I don't have that type of love in my life."

"I didn't mean it like that. . ."

"I don't have that type of love from my parents," Steve said, looking down at our hands. He smiled as he lifted his head and looked at me. "But I do have that type of love. From you."

"Of course," I said, suddenly nervous. "You've been my best friend since like, ever. I hope that I help you feel that kind of. . ."

I held my breath when Steve pulled on my hands and brought me closer to him.

"Family love?" Steve asked, his voice dropping to a whisper. "Are you sure that's the kind of love you want me to feel?"

"What kind of love would I want you to feel?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

"The stereotypical love," Steve whispered with a small laugh. "You know, best friends who know each other better than anyone else. Then that friendship slowly turns into something else."

"What does it turn into?" I asked shakily.

"Real love."

I sucked in a surprised breath when Steve leaned in and gently pressed his lips to mine in a hesitant kiss. Of all the times I daydreamed about Steve finally kissing me, I didn't expect him to be so hesitant. His reputation at school was that he moved fast and knew exactly how girls wanted to be kissed.

Once the shock finally wore off, I slowly started kissing him back. The second I started kissing him, his hesitation disappeared and he deepened the kiss.

Steve broke the kiss, both of us struggling to catch our breaths. He leaned his forehead against mine, slightly rubbing our noses together. He gently massaged my hip, his fingers every once in a while slipping under my shirt and touching my cold skin.

"Y/N," he sighed, "I know this isn't the best time but we need each other. We need to keep each other safe. I can't lose you, Y/N."

"You won't," I whispered.

"If I did. . ."

"You won't," I repeated. I stood on my toes and pressed my lips to his. Steve instantly deepened the kiss, backing us up against the outside of the house.

"I love you, Steve," I said, breaking the kiss.

"I love you too," Steve chuckled. He smiled as he tightened his arms around me. "Thank you."

"For loving you back?" I teased.

"For checking on me."

"I'll always check on you," I shrugged. "It's kind of an instinct, I guess."

"You've got good instincts, Y/L/N."

"Only when it comes to you, Harrington."