Study Session Part 2-Steve Harrington

Steve's POV

After our off-topic conversation during one of our study sessions, Y/N and I tried to go back to normal. As hard as I tried, I couldn't. Every time I was with her, I wanted to wrap my arms around her and press my lips to hers.

A couple of days after we danced around admitting our feelings for each other, Y/N broke up with William. We kept meeting for our study sessions like normal. Nothing happened. Neither one of us brought it up. We acted like normal.

Two months later, we were still acting like nothing had happened. It was starting to drive me crazy. I briefly stopped thinking about Y/N as I took my pre-calc test. The next day, I bounced my knees nervously as I waited to get my test handed back.

I let out a sigh of relief, a small chuckle when I saw the grade I got. Not only did I pass, I got a B+. I couldn't remember the last time I got that good of a grade on a math test. I instantly wished Y/N was in my class so I could tell her.

I jumped when the bell rang. I grabbed my stuff and bolted out the door. I scanned the hallway, looking for any sign of Y/N. When I couldn't find her, I headed to her locker. She usually stopped by her locker before heading to lunch. My stomach wouldn't calm down as I waited for her. The longer it took, the more restless I got.

Her tree.

Y/N liked to eat lunch under this tree in the courtyard. It was shaded and no one ever bothered her. Well, today, someone would.

I saw her from across the courtyard. I slowly started walking faster toward her.

"Y/N!" I called out when I couldn't resist anymore. She looked up, smiling when we made eye contact. That's when I started sprinting toward her. As I did, she slowly stood up.

Right as I got to her, I wrapped my arms around her. I lifted her off her feet and spun us around. The whole time we spun, she giggled. I finally put her down, her still laughing.

"What has gotten into you?" She teased.

I grabbed my graded test out of my backpack and showed her. Y/N gasped as she took my test from me. She looked up at me with a huge smile on her face. I gasped, turning into a laugh, as she threw her arms around me.

"I knew you could do it," she whispered.

"Thanks to you," I whispered back. I squeezed her before slowly letting her go. As we broke apart, I instantly saw Y/N's bright red cheeks.

"We should celebrate," I said, not letting her go.

"What did you have in mind?"

"How about that date we should've had like two months ago?"

"Are you serious?" Y/N stuttered, slowly stepping out of my embrace.

"I am," I shrugged. "Let's do this, Y/N. Let's finally do this. I know I said I was fine waiting, but I'm starting to get. . . I mean, I know we agreed. . . I want to take you out, treat you the way I promised I could treat you."

"I'm sorry I've been making you wait so long," she sighed.

"Hey," I said quickly. I gently grabbed her hands, pulling her a little closer to me. "Don't apologize, Y/N. You had every right to take your time before moving on. And I was okay with it. But. . . I have to be honest with you; I'm dying."

Y/N chuckled, looking down at our hands. She squeezed my hands, slightly swinging them.

"I'm tired of waiting," she whispered.

"Then how about tonight?" I asked, not bothering to hide how eager I was. "I can pick you up. Take you to dinner. Maybe a movie or something?"

"Sounds great."

* * * * *

A few hours later, I drove to Y/N's house to pick her up. Even though her house was only down the road from mine, I didn't want to make her walk. I couldn't help but feel a little nervous as I walked up to the front door and knocked. My heart jumped into my throat when Y/N's mom opened the door.

"Hey, Steve," she smiled.

"Hi, Mrs. Y/L/N," I greeted. "I'm here to pick up Y/N. Is she ready?"

Y/N's mom looked up their stairs and sighed. She hesitated before looking back at me.

"Why don't you head on up there?"

"Thanks," I nodded as she moved aside for me.

I jogged upstairs and headed toward Y/N's room. I gently knocked on the door.

"Just a minute, Mom!" Y/N yelled from inside. "I still can't figure out what to wear."

I slowly opened the door, making sure I wasn't walking in on anything I shouldn't be seeing.

"I'm sure whatever you wear will be perfect," I said. Y/N gasped and spun around.

"You're here," she said slowly. "You're not supposed to be here until. . . Now. You said you'd pick me up now."

Y/N sighed as she tossed the dress and skirt she was holding onto her bed. She took a shaky breath as she nervously wiped her hands on the dress she was wearing.

"I'm sorry, Steve," she sighed. "I just. . . I couldn't. . . I don't know what to wear."

Y/N sat on the edge of her bed, nervously playing with her hands. I walked over and sat next to her.

"I have put on like fifty different outfits and none of them were right," she started stuttering. "One makes me look short. Another makes me look fat. None of them are worthy."

"Worthy of what?" I asked. She slowly looked at me, tears building in her eyes.

"Of you," she whispered.

I leaned in and pressed my lips to hers. Y/N gasped in surprise but quickly relaxed against me. Our lips slowly started moving in sync. I broke the kiss, not wanting to push Y/N further than she was comfortable.

"I think you look beautiful," I whispered, slowly pulling away. "It doesn't matter what you wear because I will think you're beautiful in whatever you put on. You could wear pajamas and you'd still be the most beautiful girl in the world."

"Give me two minutes."

I laughed as Y/N jumped up, grabbed something out of her closet, and ran into her bathroom. While she changed, I looked around her room. A few pictures were updated and she had more books on her shelf, but not much had changed.

I looked back when the bathroom door opened. I smiled when I saw Y/N was now in a pair of jeans and a nice blouse. I've seen her in this outfit before. She wore it to the first day of school this year.

"These are my favorite pair of jeans," she said, looking down at her outfit. "And my mom says the color of my shirt brings out my eyes."

I closed the gap between us and gently lifted her chin with my finger. I leaned in and pressed my lips delicately to hers. I felt her smile as she kissed me back. I slowly broke the kiss, both of us breathing heavily.

"She was right," I whispered. I smiled at the blush that formed on her face. "You ready to go?"

Y/N started biting her bottom lip as she nodded. I used my thumb to pull her lip away from her teeth.

"Don't overthink," I whispered.

"I wasn't."

"I know you," I teased. "You chew your bottom lip when you're overthinking. Please, Y/N, don't overthink it. Don't overthink us."