Tables Have Turned-Joe Keery

Tumblr request by levisimp1122

"You have my number," Joe stuttered. "You have Y/M/N's number. I also have the number of my assistant on the fridge, the number for the studio the interview is being filmed, the number for my driver, and the personal security. You will always be able to reach me."

"Dude," Gaten laughed, "little Y/N is going to be just fine. We'll watch some cartoons, eat some mac and cheese and then I'll rock her until she falls asleep. See? I got this."

Gaten hesitated before asking, "Is this the first time you've left her?"

"Of course not," Joe scoffed. He sighed before adding, "But usually she's with Y/M/N."

"Don't worry, Dad," Gaten chuckled. "Your little princess is going to be just fine."

"If anything happens. . ."

"I'll call you," he finished for Joe.

"Gaten, I'm serious," he sighed. "Y/N is my little girl and. . ."

"Will you relax? Y/N is going to be fine with her Uncle G, alright? We're going to have a great time!"

"I just. . ."

"Joe, you need to go or you're going to be late for your interview."

"Maybe I shouldn't do this," Joe sighed.

"Go to the interview?" Gaten asked.

"Go back to work."

"I thought. . . I thought you and Y/M/N talked for like days about you going back to work. One of you has to."

"I know," Joe cut him off, angrily running his hands through his hair. "But ever since I started getting ready, I've had this huge pit in my stomach. I can't help but feel like something is going to happen the minute I leave Y/N."

"You're a first-time dad," Gaten sighed. "It's not supposed to be easy to leave your child, especially your first child. Don't be so hard on yourself, Joe."

"You're right," Joe mumbled. He paused. "Why are you smiling like that?"

"The tables have turned," Gaten laughed.

"And I don't know how I feel about it," Joe sighed.

"The babysatter becomes the babysitter."

"That doesn't make sense," Joe mumbled as he finally left the house.

* * * * *

The interview had barely started and Joe was already dying to reach out and see how Gaten and Y/N were doing. He was waiting for a commercial break before checking his phone. The second they went to commercial, Joe pulled his phone out of his pocket.

He couldn't tell if he was relieved or nervous that Gaten hadn't texted him. He decided to call him and check.

"Y/N's fine," Gaten said when the phone stopped ringing. "We just finished eating mac and cheese. I'm going to clean her up and then get her ready for bed. I would put her on the phone but she can't talk yet. We're working on it. I've gotten pretty close to getting her to say, "My Daddy is going to be extremely overprotective. Especially when I start dating. . ."

"My daughter will never date," Joe cut him off.

"Yeah," Gaten scoffed. "Good luck with that."

Joe sighed, slowly calming down. He hesitated before asking, "So. . . She's okay?"

"She's fine," Gaten said with a small laugh. "I promised that I had this under control and I meant it."

"I know," he sighed. "I'm sorry. It's just. . . The last few months have been rocky. Y/M/N was on bed rest for two weeks. Then another two weeks after she had Y/N. During those two weeks after she was born, I was able to spend 24/7 with Y/N and. . . I never wanted to leave her side. The second I walked out the door, I regretted it."

"Have you talked to Y/M/N about all this?"

"Well. . ."

"You're connected to your daughter," Gaten said. "There's nothing wrong with that. But if you're thinking about quitting your job and becoming a stay-at-home dad, you need to talk to your wife."

"I know you're right," Joe mumbled. "But I'm the one who is supposed to work and provide for the family. I can't stay at home while Y/M/N works long hours."

"So you don't think women should work?" Gaten teased.

"Don't be an ass," Joe sighed. "You know that's not what I meant."

"I know," he laughed. "It's just fun to mess with you. But in all seriousness, it doesn't matter who or how. You could each work part-time. Y/M/N could work. You could find a different job or cut back on your projects. You and Y/M/N have the same goal: to take care of Y/N."

"You're right. Y/M/N and I have a few conversations we need to have," Joe sighed.

Joe paused when someone tried to get his attention. The interview was about to start again. He nodded toward the assistant, holding up one finger.

"Would you mind watching Y/N tonight? I should take Y/M/N to dinner so we could have those conversations."

"Of course," Gaten said without a second of hesitation.

"Thanks, man."

"The babysitter just got babysat!"

"You're really making me regret putting you in charge of my daughter."