Kidnapped-Joe Keery

I walked into our house, sighing as I kicked off my shoes. I hung my keys by the door and called out to him.

"Joe? You home?"

I walked into the kitchen and sat at the table. I shouldn't be surprised that I was home before my husband. They've been filming like crazy, trying to catch up due to the time they lost because of COVID. Still, you'd think an actor would make it home before an attorney.

Joe and I have been married for two years. The first year was relatively easy. Things flowed and we were happy. Then again, we snuck away and got married at the courthouse when things started opening up.

This last year has been a little rough. He went back to filming and I got thrown into case after case at work. Neither one of us has been home that much. And when one of us is, the other isn't. It's put a little strain on our relationship. More than I'd like to admit.

I stood up and slowly started making dinner. I subconsciously made enough for two. I ate in silence. I cleaned up in silence. I made a second plate in silence. I put that second plate in the fridge and wrote Joe a note. I put the note on the table, telling him about the plate in the fridge, and headed to our room.

After a hot shower, I finished getting ready for bed and laid down. I tried to read a book but it was useless. I couldn't focus on what I was reading. As I put my book on my bedside table, I heard the front door open and close.

A year ago, I would've gotten out of bed and met him at the door. I would've heated up his dinner, sat, and talked with him while he ate. But tonight, I rolled over and turned off my light. I was still awake when I heard Joe walk in. The second he opened the bedroom door, he swore under his breath.

"I'm still awake," I sighed as I sat up. I turned my light back on and leaned against the headboard.

"Sorry," he sighed. "I know I'm home late."

"It's okay," I shrugged as I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. I hesitated before looking at my clock. It was 12:15.

"Did you wait up for me?" He asked as he draped his jacket over the back of the chair at my vanity.

"I know better," I mumbled. I glanced up at him and could see he heard me. He stopped unbuttoning his shirt and walked over, sitting by my feet.

"I'm sorry," he sighed. "I didn't think we'd be filming so long. I was going to call you but it was late and I didn't know if you were asleep. I didn't want to wake you and. . ."

"You should've," I cut him off.

"Y/N," he started but I didn't give him the chance. I got out of bed and went into the bathroom. I was about to shut the door, but Joe caught it.

"Look, baby, you've gotta talk to me," he said, coming into the bathroom. "When we first started dating, do you remember what we agreed?"

I crossed my arms over myself and looked down at my bare feet. "We agreed that we'd always talk about what we were thinking and what was bugging us."

Joe's feet came into view and I looked up at him as he gently grabbed my arms.

"Exactly," he said softly. "So talk to me, darling."

I opened my mouth, unable to get the words out. I tightened my arms around myself. As I continued to struggle to find the right words, my eyes filled with tears.

"It's okay," Joe encouraged. "You can say anything and I promise I won't be mad. What's on your mind, gorgeous?"

"It's just," I hesitated, "this is all so much harder than I thought it would be."