Teacher's Pet-Joe Keery

A/N: This one is in honor of me finishing my first year teaching!

I walked into our apartment, my bags falling to the ground with a loud thump. I kicked off my shoes and hung my keys by the door.

"Y/N? Babe, is that you?"

"Yeah," I answered shakily. "It's me."

"You're home late."

"Yeah, we umm. . . We had a staff meeting after school and then I had to finish some grading and planning and. . . and crying."

When that last word came out, I looked up to see Joe walking into the hallway. His eyes softened as he walked over to me and wrapped his arms around me.

I buried my face in his chest as tears started silently streaming down my face. He tightened his arms around me and leaned down, pressing a kiss to the top of my head.

"Your favorite chicken dish is in the oven and I already have a bottle of wine open," he whispered. "We can spend the whole night binge-watching every Sandra Bullock movie we own. And then we can do something that will make us feel like we're in high school again."

I giggled when as he said that last activity, Joe slid his hands down my back and slipped them into my back pockets. I looked up at him and teasingly chewed on my bottom lip. I snaked my arms up his chest and around his neck.

"That is exactly what I need to get my mind off of work."

* * * * *

This was my first year teaching and to say it was kicking my ass would be an understatement. After four years of schooling, teaching wasn't what I thought it would be. By the end of the day, I'm exhausted. I come home with no energy to do anything. If it wasn't for Joe, I'd completely fall apart.

I woke up the next morning to the sun shining through our window. I rolled over but sat up when the other side of the bed was empty. I got out of bed and walked downstairs. I leaned against the door frame and watched Joe make us breakfast.

It was amazing how much I loved this man. We've been dating for over two years. At our one-year mark, we moved in together and we didn't look back.

Joe turned around holding two plates and smiled at me. "Morning," he greeted.

"Morning," I smiled.

I walked over as he placed our plates on the kitchen table. He turned towards me and pulled me into his chest. He leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. I instantly started kissing him back. We pulled apart when we couldn't breathe.

"Happy Saturday," he whispered.

"Happy Saturday," I chuckled.

Joe and I spent the morning eating breakfast as we talked about Joe's show.

"Y/N," he sighed, using the tone that always meant he was going to start talking about my work. "I love you, but I hate seeing you like this. You come home exhausted every day, baby. You come home so defeated, it breaks my heart."

"I love teaching," I shrugged, "it's just not what I expected."

"You've been working yourself so hard," he started, "I still don't understand why you won't. . ."

"Joe," I interrupted him. "Honey, we've had this conversation at least a hundred times. Please, can we not have it again?"

"Yes, we have to," he sighed. "Y/N, if you take a break, it could help."

"And I've told you that I can't take a break, Joe. Things are crazy and. . ."

"Y/N, you can't keep going on like this," Joe said, officially getting frustrated. "If you do, you could pass out. For crying out loud, Y/N, you barely eat. You don't eat in the morning. I know you only take nuts or fruit for lunch so you can grade or lesson plan while you eat. And I watch you at dinner. You barely eat. The last thing I want is to get a call from your school saying you passed out during class. I couldn't risk losing you."