Millie's Friend-Keys

Millie's POV

"Why won't this work?!"

"Easy," Keys sighed. "We'll figure it out."

"You built an entire video game," Mouser sighed. "Why can't we program Free City's characters into our new adapted code?"

"It's not that easy," Keys said as he leaned back in his chair. "For some reason, the codes aren't combining correctly."

I chewed on my bottom lip, scanning my eyes over our code. Suddenly, the face of the one person that could help us, popped into my head.

"I think I know someone we can call."

"Who?" Keys asked as he sat forward.

"She was my roommate our senior year at MIT," I explained. "And she is incredible at cross-programming. If anyone can fix this problem, it's her."

* * * * *

Reader's POV

I stared at my phone as I got a call from the last person I ever thought I would hear from. The last time I talked to Millie was the day she sold her game to some asshole that she thought was brilliant. And just like I tried to warn her, he ended up screwing them over. I sighed before answering.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Y/N," she said too cheerily.

"What can I do for you, Millie?" I asked as politely as I could. I haven't heard from my roommate in years and she just randomly calls me.

"It's been a while," she chuckled.

"What do you need, Millie?" I asked, less politely this time.

"Look, my friend and I built this video game and it's really taken off," she said, her usual amount of bragging coming through.

"And you called to brag?"

"No," she said quickly. "The thing is, we had to adapt the code for the number of users but with the new code, we can't program any new characters."

"Okay," I sighed.

"I know you're a big programmer for that company out of Seattle," she continued. "I was wondering if you could take a look at our code. Maybe you see something that we've missed. Look, I know it's been a long time since we've seen or talked to each other, but I could really use your help, Y/N."

"I can come by tomorrow on my lunch break," I sighed, giving in.

"Thank you!" She laughed. "I owe you one."

* * * * *

I fixed my blazer as I hesitated to knock on Millie's apartment. When I gathered enough courage, I knocked. I tried to hide my surprise when the door opened quickly.

"Y/N!" Millie squealed. I gasped when she pulled me into a tight hug and started rocking us.

"Nice to see you too," I laughed. We pulled out of the hug and Millie wasted no time before grabbing my hand and dragging me into her apartment.

"This is where your company resides?" I asked.

"I know," she chuckled. "We're still trying to find an office. It's been a long and busy process."

"If you moved into an actual office building, it will give you a broader spectrum," I started to ramble. "Office buildings have better and stronger service. Housing and apartment complexes naturally have worse service."

"That's what I keep saying!" Someone shouted from the other room.

"Who's that?"

"I'll introduce you. Guys, where are you?!"

"Trying to keep your apartment from burning down," a different voice said.

"Boys, how many times have I told you not to use anything in the kitchen?" Millie yelled back. She looked over at me and sent me a teasing smile and rolled her eyes.

"Guys, get out here," Millie said. "I want you to meet, Y/N."

She and I laughed when we heard what sounded like things being roughly put down. "Prepare yourself," she whispered.

"Honey," I sighed, "I'm the only female in an entire office building of men. I think I can handle two guys my age."

"You don't know these guys," she laughed. "Well, Keys will be nice. You don't have to worry about him. Now Mouser. . ."

"Keys and Mouser?" I asked. "Do these boys have real names?"

"Sometimes, I forget," she laughed.

Just then two boys walked into the room. The second I saw the first guy, I already knew it was Mouser. He was too busy checking out my skirt length to see what I looked like. The second guy only looked into my eyes. When he smiled, my face burned.

"Y/N, this is Mouser and Keys," Millie introduced. "Guys, this is Y/N."

"Hello, Y/N," Mouser said in a flirtatious tone.

"Don't even think about it," Millie shut down instantly.

"It's nice to meet you," Keys spoke up. "And sorry about him."

"It's okay," I chuckled. "I'm used to it."

"We really appreciate you coming all the way out here to help us," Keys smiled.

"No problem," I shrugged. "Where are your servers?"

"In the other room," Millie said. "Follow me."

As we walked into the other room, I heard Mouser whisper to Keys. "She's cute."

"Leave her alone," Keys sighed. "She doesn't need you panting and drooling over her. She's here to help. Promise me you won't make her uncomfortable."

Something about Keys instantly protecting me made my stomach crazy.

* * * * *

An hour later and I was a little closer than Millie and the guys were to fixing their problem.

"Here." I looked over my shoulder to see Keys holding out a mug. "Thought you could use some coffee."

"Thanks," I smiled as I took it.

"How's it going?" Keys asked as he nervously rocked on his heels and shoved his hands in his pockets.

"It's. . . Going," I sighed as I ran my fingers through my hair. "It's going to take a few hours, but at least I'm on the right track."

"That's great. You want any help?"

For the next two hours, Keys and I adjusted their code and slowly fixed the problem of uploading their characters. Turns out there was something in the code of their characters that wasn't linking with the code of their game.

"I think. . . We're just about. . . There!"

"You got it?" Keys asked, scooting closer to me.

"I did."

We let out matching laughs as he skimmed through the code. "Holy. . . you did it."

"What's all the screaming?" Mouser asked.

"Y/N figured it out."

"You did?" Millie asked as she ran over. She looked over Keys' shoulder, slightly leaning over him. I looked away when she grabbed his shoulders.

"That's amazing!" Millie squealed. I laughed as she wrapped me in a big hug. "Thank you so much!"

"Happy to help," I chuckled. I looked over her shoulder and saw Keys smiling at me.

* * * * *

"Y/N?"

I turned around to see Keys jogging out of Millie's building toward me.

"Hey, what's up?"

"I was wondering. . ." He said slowly. "Maybe we could get coffee sometime. Or dinner?"

"Keys, are you asking me on a date?"

"I'm trying to, at least," he shrugged, letting out a small laugh. "So?"

"I'm in."