No Hero-Steve Harrington

Steve's POV

"You have to get some sleep, Max."

I looked over to see Y/N begging Max. One look at her and you could see how tired Max was and how much she's been fighting it.

"I'm fine," she tried to push off.

"Max," Y/N sighed. "Please?"

"I'm not even tired," she scoffed.

"You can lay your head on my lap," Y/N offered. She lowered her voice as she added, "I'll be right here the whole time. I promise. You can't keep going on like this, kiddo. You need some sleep."

My stomach felt weird as I saw Max slowly give in to Y/N's pleas. She laid down on Y/N's lap, and Y/N instantly started to run her fingers through her hair. It didn't take Max long to fall asleep. I went back to driving the stolen RV, unable to stop myself from glancing at Y/N.

A little while later, Y/N joined me. I looked over to see Max still asleep but Lucas now sitting where Y/N was. I glanced back at the road before turning to Y/N.

"You okay?" I asked.

Y/N shook her head, biting her lip. She reached over and grabbed my hand.

"We can't protect them all, Steve," she said, her voice breaking. "He's going to hurt her."

"We won't let him," I tried to say as seriously as I could. I squeezed her hand as I added, "I promise I will do whatever it takes to protect everyone. All of you."

"Me too," Y/N whispered.

We were quiet the rest of the drive. Y/N and I didn't say another word to each other as we got the supplies and headed to Eddie's trailer. As we went over the phases of our plan, I couldn't take my eyes off Y/N. She didn't really look like she was listening.

While Nancy threatened the kids if they went off plan, I walked over and sat next to Y/N. I gently reached over and put my hand on her knee. She let out a shaky breath as she grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers.

"We're going to be okay," I whispered. "I promise."

"You can't promise that."

I squeezed her hand, surprisingly calm.

"Watch me."

Y/N turned to say something to me but Eddie jumped up and clapped his hands together.

"Let's do this!"

Neither one of us said anything as we left Max's trailer and went to Eddie's. After I climbed through the gate, I grabbed the mattress and pulled it over. I looked up, instantly making eye contact with Y/N. I sent her an encouraging nod to which she responded with a hesitant one.

I held my breath as she climbed up. I resisted the urge to catch her as she fell through the gate. Instead, I reached my hand out. I ignored the bolt of electricity that went up my arm when she grabbed my hand and I helped her to her feet.

I kept her pressed to my chest long enough to whisper, "Watch me."

I heard her suck in a breath as I turned to help the others through. I could feel Y/N's eyes still on me but I forced myself to ignore it. Instead, I focused on the plan and its phases.

"Let's do this," Nancy said, her voice dark. She and Robin started walking down the street but I stopped. I turned around and grabbed Y/N's wrist before she could follow Dustin back into Eddie's trailer.

"Hey," I said under my breath, turning her toward me. "Promise me you guys will be careful."

Y/N opened her mouth to say something but I cut her off. "I mean it, Y/N. I need to know that you're going to be careful. If I lost you. . . I wouldn't survive."