Risks and Timing-Steve Harrington

Steve's POV

I looked up, my breath getting caught in my throat when I saw Y/N walk into the ice cream shop for her shift.

"Morning," she smiled.

"Good morning."

Y/N walked into the back to put her stuff away. I turned around, face-to-face with a smirking Robin.

"What?"

"You're pathetic," she chuckled.

"Why am I pathetic?" I asked.

"Good morning, Y/N," she said, mocking me. "You look radiant this morning, Y/N. If only you knew how much I stare at you and wish you were mine."

"I have never said that," I scoffed.

"But you think it," she said in a sing-songy voice. She patted my shoulder before grabbing an empty box of spoons and walking away to go restock.

The sad thing is, she was right. I do stare at Y/N when she isn't looking and I do think about what our life could be together. I started working here a few months ago and Y/N was my trainer. We developed a relationship where Y/N does nothing but tease me in a way that may sound like we hate each other when in reality I'm falling madly in love with her.

I jumped when something hit me. I looked down to see a couple of nuts now on the floor.

"You okay?"

I turned around to see Y/N walking over as she fixed the weird neckties we wear. Only Y/N could make these horrid sailor outfits look good.

"Yeah," I cleared my throat. "Sorry. Just lost in thought."

"Are you sure?" She asked, quickly joining me behind the counter. "Vecna isn't back, is he?"

A few weeks ago, I was having really bad panic attacks. Y/N caught on and tried to talk to me. I kept brushing her off, but she knew better. When I was on break one day, Y/N came into the back room and sat across from me.

She refused to go back to work until I opened up. When I finally did, I told her everything. I told her all about Vecna and the UpsideDown. I was worried she'd think I was crazy and would never talk to me again. Surprisingly, she did. She believed me and told me I could always talk to her if I needed to.

"No," I chuckled. "He hasn't resurfaced."

"Good," she said, letting out a sigh of relief. I smiled when she bent down and picked up the nuts she threw earlier. She stood back up and threw them away.

She crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the counter. "If Vecna doesn't have you stuck in your head, what's going on?"

"Nothing."

"Usually, I would believe you," she teased. "Not much going on in that pretty little head of yours."

"What?" I stuttered.

"But," she continued, "I know you, Steve. Something's bothering you. Talk to me."

"It's nothing," I said, still confused about her pretty-head comment.

"Steve," she elongated. "Talk to me."

"I'm fine."

"Talk to me," she repeated.

"I'm fine, Y/N," I tried to say again.

"Talk to me. Talk to me. Talk to me. Talk to me," she repeated as she jokingly poked my arm every time she said it. She stopped repeating and looked at me.

"Steve?" She asked. I held my breath when she reached over and grabbed my hand. "Come on, Steve. Talk to me. What's going on with you?"

"I just. . . I got a lot going on," I stuttered out.