Awkward Situation-Steve Harrington

Steve's POV

I looked up when the bell above the door rang. I instantly smiled when I saw Y/N walking in but that smile faltered when I saw her with her arms wrapped around herself.

"Hey, Y/N."

"Hi, Steve," she said with her head down.

"You okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine," she stuttered. I didn't believe her but I let it go. For now.

Throughout our shift, Y/N didn't say anything. She quietly worked the register while I restocked. I continually looked at her. Each time I did, she wouldn't look at me. I tried to think of something to say to get her talking but came up with nothing. So, we worked in silence.

After closing, we were in the back room taking inventory. We've done this hundreds of times before, and every time we did, we'd talk. Not today. Today, Y/N would barely look at me.

"Okay," I said as I put down the box we were categorizing. "What's going on with you?"

"What do you mean?" Y/N stuttered.

"You've barely spoken to me all shift," I sighed. "Something's going on. So please, Y/N, talk to me."

"I'm fine," Y/N tried to convince me.

"No, you're not!" I said angrily. I sighed, forcing myself to calm down. "I'm sorry," I whispered. "I just. . . I know something's wrong and I want to help, but I can't if I don't know what's going on. So please, Y/N, talk to me."

"Steve," she stuttered. She sighed, finally giving in to my pleas. "I have something I need to get off my chest but. . ."

"But what?" I asked. "Y/N, you know you can tell me anything."

"I know that," she said, going back to avoiding eye contact with me.

"Then tell me," I practically begged. She took a shaky breath before looking up at me, but she still hesitated. "Please, Y/N?"

"I have feelings for you," she blurted out.

My jaw dropped and my heart started beating quickly against my chest. I opened and closed my mouth, struggling to put a single thought together. The longer it took for me to put a thought together, the more Y/N's eyes filled with tears.

"Y/N," I stuttered. She quickly turned on her heel and walked away. I didn't snap out of my trance until I heard the bell above the door ring and the door slam shut.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

* * * * *

The next day, I eagerly waited for Y/N to show up. I couldn't help but feel disappointed when Robin walked in instead of Y/N.

"Don't look too sad," she laughed.

"Sorry," I stuttered. "I umm. . . I thought you were Y/N. Wasn't she supposed to work the opening shift with me today?"

"She was supposed to," Robin shrugged. "She called me this morning and asked if we could switch shifts. Not sure why she wanted the closing shift for the third day in a row, but I didn't argue."

I walked away, worrying that I had lost her. I kept to myself for the rest of my shift. I looked at the clock and sighed. Y/N would be walking in any minute for her shift. When she finally did, my breath got caught in my throat.

"Hey, Y/N," I stuttered. "Can we talk about last. . ."

"I don't want to talk about it, Steve," she cut me off. And just like that, she walked into the back room.