The Star of Our Story-Keys

"Popping today and not in a good way. Sales for Free City 2 continue to slip with numerous reports of bugs in the code and lagging online play."

I looked away from my makeshift desk at Millie's kitchen table to see Keys and Millie watching the news. Ever since Keys streamed Guy finding Keys' and Millie's build in Free City, everything in the news has been about Soonami's fall from grace.

When Keys first started working at Soonami, Antwan needed a new graphic designer. Keys recommended me. A week later, we were working at Soonami together. I didn't know much about Millie. Keys met her at college and they seemed to instantly click.

He talked about building a game with her and often asked my opinion on designs. I sent him a couple, but I'm not sure if he ever used them. He used to talk about their game every time we talked. A few months before he started working at Soonami, he stopped talking about it. The one time I brought it up, he instantly brushed it off. I didn't bring it up again.

A few weeks ago, he asked me about one of the NPCs I helped design. I looked into Blue Shirt Guy and noticed something was off about him. Keys and I looked more into it and eventually discovered that Guy's AI had changed.

"Embattled Soonami game founder Antwan Hovachelik finds himself in the crosshairs."

"Crosshairs," Keys chuckled. "He's in the crosshairs and embattled."

"We're too busy to gloat," Millie sighed.

"I'm a victim! I'm a victim!" Antwan yelled to the camera.

"Victim," I scoffed. "Yeah right."

Keys and I shared a glance. I looked away, going back to working on one of our new characters.

"Speaking of busy," Mouser said, "we just doubled the amount of unique visitors we can handle. It's amazing. Who'd have thought that so many people would just wanna watch video game characters instead of shoot at them?"

Keys and Millie stared at him for a second, holding back their laughs. "Oh yeah," Keys chuckled, "we did."

"Yeah," Millie giggled. "You know, you're pretty cute when you brag."

My breath got stuck in my throat when Millie patted his shoulder and walked away. I looked over when I felt someone staring at me. Mouser was watching me, nothing but pity on his face.

Mouser was the only one who knew about my feelings for Keys. I never told him. He just knew. A couple of months before Millie's venture, Keys, Mouser, and I were at an office party. Keys was talking to another graphic designer and I was having one too many beers. Mouser just walked up to me and told me he knew about Keys and me.

~•~

"But seriously," he laughed as he poured himself another drink, "how long have you been in love with your best friend, Y/N?"

"I don't know what you mean," I scoffed, finishing my drink.

"Come on, Y/N," Mouser sighed. "It's not like I'm going to tell him. But I figured it might be nice to have someone to vent to."

"I'm fine," I brushed off. I started to walk away but stopped. "You promise you won't tell him?"

"Of course," Mouser promised.

~•~

"Anyone else want a coffee?" I asked, standing up. "I suddenly am dying for anything with caffeine and foam."

"Not your usual?" Mouser asked. I looked over at him and glared. "Medium coffee, cream, two sugars?"

"Sometimes you just want something fluffy," I said through my teeth. I grabbed my wallet and left Millie's apartment. I slowly walked down the street to the coffee shop Keys and I grew up going to.

"Y/N, wait up."

"Leave me alone, Mouser."

"Come on, Y/N," he sighed. He gently grabbed my wrist and spun me around. "You gotta talk about this."

"No, I don't," I said, pulling my wrist out of his hand.

"You and Keys. . ." He started.

"There's nothing to talk about," I cut him off quickly. I wrapped my arms around myself and took a shaky breath.

"Y/N," he started again.

"Please," I cut him off again. "I don't want to talk about this, Mouser."

"Alright," he said, putting his hands up in defense. "At least let me help you carry four coffees back to the apartment."

We started walking down the street, but I could feel Mouser continually glancing at me.

"Besides," I sighed, "it's not like he would ever have feelings for me."

"Why not?"

"Because we've known each other since we were little," I explained, "which means he's seen me through my awkward stage, through every stupid crush, through every heartbreak. Why would he want me?"

"Because you've known each other since you were little," Mouser shrugged, throwing my words back at me. "I've seen how he is with you, Y/N. He's protective, but that's not a surprise. You guys have so many inside jokes, it's actually annoying."

"Why would he want me?" I asked again, this time under my breath. "I don't understand coding. I don't understand AI. I don't get all of this programming. All I do is design characters. You guys are the ones who program and create them. The point is I'm not like you guys. . . I'm not Millie."

"Y/N," Mouser sighed. "I've said this over and over again. Keys does not have feelings for Millie. They're just friends."

"I should just leave."

"What?" Mouser grabbed my wrist again and stopped me. "Y/N, you can't just leave. Don't you think that's a little irrational?"

"What's the point of me sitting on the sidelines for Keys' and Millie's love story when I know I'm just a supporting character?"

"What if you're not 'just a supporting character'? What if you're actually the star of the love story?"

"I'm not," I scoffed. "Besides, it's not like anyone would care if I left."

"You sure about that?"

"Yeah," I scoffed, "I'm sure about that."

"Why don't you ask him if he would care?"

I turned around to see Keys standing behind us. By the look on his face, I could tell he had heard way more than I wish he had.

"Keys," I stuttered. "It wasn't what it sounded like. . . I mean, I can explain. . ."

"I'll let you guys talk," Mouser said, looking between the two of us. He cleared his throat before walking back to Millie's apartment. I crossed my arms over my chest, no idea what I could say or how this would go.

"How much did you hear?" I finally asked.

"I followed you guys from Millie's apartment."

"So, everything?" I asked.

"Yes," he said softly. I looked away, not wanting to see the look on his face.

"You don't have to say anything," I said, looking at my feet. "In fact, let's just pretend that I didn't say anything. Let's pretend that. . ."

"How could you think I wouldn't care if you left?" He cut me off. "Y/N, look at me."

Suddenly, his feet came into view. He used his finger to slowly lift my chin until I was looking at him.

"Mouser was right," he whispered, still holding my face.

"What do you mean?" I asked under my breath. I gasped when he leaned down and pressed his lips delicately to mine. I was so shocked, I could barely kiss him back. When I finally wrapped my head around what was happening, I slowly started to kiss him back. We broke apart, neither one of us being able to breathe.

"How could you think you were 'just a supporting character' in my love story?" Keys asked, his voice soft. "You're clearly the star of it."