No One Else-Steve Harrington

Requested by Silver9860

When Steve and Nancy broke up, it was the ultimate piece of gossip. On Monday, every kid in school knew about their fight. People talked shit about Nancy and sided with Steve.

I probably should've felt bad for Nancy but Steve was my best friend and she treated him like shit. I listened to him angrily venting on the phone constantly. I drank with him in his backyard after he and Nancy fought. I dropped everything and stayed with him when Nancy randomly disappeared for two days with Johnathan Byers.

That night, Steve was drinking his fifth beer while I read a book. I looked up when I heard a can crumble and thrown on the grass.

"Steve," I sighed, "can I say something that will definitely make you mad, but you'll be too hungover tomorrow to remember?"

"Of course," he slurred as he opened another can of beer. I stood up and walked over, sitting next to him.

"Nancy isn't good enough for you."

"Y/N," he drunkenly grumbled.

"No," I cut him off. "You need to hear this, Steve. She is an obnoxious, stuck-up, selfish, narcissistic, bitch who wouldn't know an amazing guy if he was standing right in front of her."

"Enough!" Steve yelled as he stood up.

"No," I said, keeping my ground. I stood up and started following him back into the house. "You think she's this pure, innocent, sexy girl but she's not. Okay? Haven't you noticed her flirting with Johnathan every chance she gets?!"

"That's not true!"

I jumped out of the way when he threw his almost full can of beer. I couldn't stop the tears from building. As a tear started to stream down my cheek, the realization built in Steve's eyes.

"I can't do this," I whispered.

"Y/N," Steve stuttered.

"I can't stand by and act like I'm okay with you being with someone who doesn't treat you right," I said my voice breaking.

"Y/N, please. I didn't mean. . ."

He tried to take a step toward me, but I instantly took a step back. I took a shaky breath as I built up the courage to say one last thing before leaving.

"Nancy Wheeler isn't good enough for Steve Harrington."

I turned on my heel and wrapped my arms around myself as I started walking into his house. I gasped when Steve grabbed my arm and spun me around. As soon as I was facing him, he pressed his lips to mine.

The second his lips touched mine, I knew I should pull away. But for the life of me, I couldn't. Steve slowly broke the kiss, a big smile on his face.

"I'm sorry I let Nancy come between us," he said gently.

"Steve. . ."

"You've always been there for me," he continued. "You've always driven over whenever I needed help. You're amazing, Y/N, and you're right. I shouldn't be with Nancy. I should be with you."

* * * * *

The next day, I woke up in Steve's bed. We didn't sleep together or anything. Steve wanted to wake up next to me. He thought it would help him remember last night. And surprisingly, it did.

We spent the entire next day together. We made breakfast together, went on a walk, fell asleep on his couch, and anything else we wanted to do. That night, he took me on a romantic and perfect date.

We've been dating for six months now and each month was better than the last. The entire time we've been together, there's been a little voice in the back of my head saying that I wasn't good enough. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like everyone was staring at us at school and whispering about how Steve shouldn't be with me.

Two weeks ago, I figured it out. I wasn't as smart or pretty or thin as Steve's ex-girlfriend. Subconsciously, I started to change. I started dressing more like her. I started studying more. And I wasn't eating as much as I should have.

Last night, I was doing homework with Steve when I started to get a little dizzy. I accidentally dropped my pen and when I bent down to get it, I almost passed out.

When he asked if I was okay, I told him that I hadn't eaten since breakfast. He instantly went into his kitchen and made me a sandwich. He wasn't angry, just extremely worried. So worried he watched while I ate the sandwich.

The next day at school I was in my head a lot. Probably too much and Steve noticed. I constantly caught him staring at me. Whenever he asked me what was wrong or if I was okay, I assured him that I was fine. He didn't believe me.

We were currently sitting at the lunch table, listening to Tommy and Carol fight about their latest stupid topic.

"You've been acting kinda weird, baby," Steve said as he grabbed my hand under the table. "Everything okay?"

"Everything's fine," I shrugged.

Steve sighed before standing up with my hand still in his. Before I could ask him where we were going, he pulled me to my feet. He kept his hand intertwined with mine as he led me out of the cafeteria.

My heart did a strange flutter when I realized that we was taking me to my favorite place to talk–the library. He pulled me between the historical fiction section and the fantasy section. He finally let go of my hand, turned towards me, and crossed his arms over his chest.

"What's going on with you?"

"I already told you," I said, nervously playing with my fingers, "I'm fine."

"Don't bullshit me, Y/N," Steve sighed. "You think I haven't noticed? The last two weeks, you've been studying a lot more. You've been dressing differently. And you haven't been eating."

"Steve. . ."

"Don't say you're fine," Steve said, his voice slightly rising. He cleared his throat, forcing himself to calm down. "You almost fainted the other day, Y/N. Please tell me what's going on."

"I want to play the part," I finally confessed.

"Play the part?" He asked. "Baby, what part?"

"Steve Harrington's Girlfriend."

"You don't need to play the part, Y/N. You are the perfect Steve Harrington's Girlfriend," he tried to tease.

His smile slightly dropped. He grabbed my hands and pulled me into his chest as he leaned against the bookcase.

"Y/N, please tell me you aren't trying to change yourself."

When I didn't answer him, he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me even closer.

"Why?" He whispered. "Why are you changing yourself? I like you just the way you are."

I glanced up at him through my eyelashes and watched as Steve figured it out. When the lightbulb finally turned on, I pulled out of his hold.

"Nancy," he sighed. "You think I'm still in love with her."

I crossed my arms over my chest and looked away from him, struggling to hold back my tears.

Steve reached up and gently cupped my face in his hand. He rubbed his thumb across the surface of my cheek as he smiled sweetly at me.

"Y/N," he whispered, "I promise you that I don't love Nancy anymore. Okay? I love you."

"You do?"

Steve leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. I giggled against his lips as things started to get a little heated. We broke the kiss and leaned our foreheads against each other.

"I love you, Y/N."

"I love you too, Steve."