Frumpy First Date-Joe Keery

I walked onto set, busy looking at my phone. I gasped when I bumped into someone. I looked up to see a laughing Joe.

"Careful," he teased. "Walking while texting is awfully dangerous."

"I'm a talented girl," I winked. My face didn't burn until I walked away.

Joe and I have had a kinda awkward back-and-forth. It was randomly flirtatious. The first time I met him was at our table reading. Ryan Reynolds introduced us as best friends that were secretly in love. Instead of being awkward or uncomfortable about it, Joe and I laughed it off. We made jokes constantly about it. That led to more jokes and eventually to us flirting back and forth.

We've been filming for about two months now and mine and Joe's relationship got stronger. It got to the point where the flirting wasn't a joke anymore. It actually stopped being a joke after our first week of filming.

After going back to my trailer and changing, I walked into the costume trailer and dropped off the costume I wore today. The door opened just as I was finishing putting things away.

"These give me a headache," Joe sighed as he took off his prop glasses and tossed them onto the counter next to me.

"They make you look cute," I blurted out. My eyes widened. I snapped my mouth shut and looked up at Joe's face. He was smiling softly at me. I opened and closed my mouth, struggling to take it back.

"I'm glad you think that," Joe said, not an ounce of teasing in his voice, "because I wear glasses in real life."

"I've never seen you in them," I mumbled, still embarrassed by the last time I spoke.

"I wear my contacts while filming," Joe shrugged. "I usually take them out as soon as I get home."

"I didn't know that," I said, barely audible.

"I know," he chuckled. "I'm still a work-in-progress. Unlike you."

"Unlike me?"

"You always looked drop-dead beautiful," he smirked. My face started burning all over again.

"Not always," I said, trying to return my face to its normal color.

"Yeah right," he scoffed.

"I'm not!" I giggled. "As soon as I get home, I change into a pair of spanks and an oversized shirt. Then I pull my hair up into a messy bun at the top of my head. I look like a homeless gremlin."

"Shut up," Joe laughed.

"It's true! I only dress nicely when there's a risk of paparazzi finding me. If not, I'm frumpy."

"You're not going to convince me," he smirked. "You could never be frumpy, Y/N. Not even if you tried."

I just rolled my eyes and started walking out of the costume trailer. My heart slightly sank as I headed to my trailer. I walked inside and sat on the couch. As much as I loved these flirtatious exchanges with Joe, they still broke my heart.

Joe Keery would never go for me.

I jumped when someone knocked on my trailer. I looked up right as Joe walked in.

"I had an idea," he started but stopped when he saw me. "You okay?"

My heart clenched as Joe instantly moved to my side. He sat down and moved like he was going to grab my hand but didn't.

"I'm fine," I said, clearing my throat. "What was your idea?"

"Do you have any plans tonight?" He asked, still not fully believing that I was fine.