Rude Awakening-Joe Keery

Oscar-Worthy Morning After Part 2

Requested by minty-fox-candyyki

After the disastrous end to our amazing anniversary, I woke up the next morning. I rolled over, expecting to see Joe but he wasn't there. I sat up and looked around. After still not finding him, I got out of his bed. When the cold hair hit me, I grabbed Joe's yellow hoodie off his desk chair and pulled it over my head.

I walked down the hallway, heading toward the kitchen. I leaned against the fridge, smiling as I watched Joe make a smoothie in just his pajama pants.

"I could get used to this."

Joe turned around at my voice with his smile that always gave me butterflies.

"And I could get used to you wearing my clothes," he smirked as he walked over to me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into his chest.

Joe leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. I let out a small moan as our lips started moving in sync.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, breaking the kiss.

"For what, baby?" He asked as he reached up and moved a piece of hair out of my face.

"I haven't brushed my teeth yet," I mumbled. "That kiss was probably gross."

Joe gently cut me off by kissing me again. He broke the kiss and leaned his forehead against mine.

"Kissing you could never be gross," he whispered.

Joe grabbed my hand and led me over to the counter. He had me sit down before going back to finishing the smoothie. When it was done, he poured the smoothie into two glasses. We spent the rest of the morning drinking the smoothie and watching tv.

I put my empty glass on the coffee table and relaxed back into Joe's arms. He kissed the top of my head as another episode started.

"What should we do today, baby?"

"I don't care," I shrugged as I looked up at him. Joe chuckled as he leaned down and kissed my forehead. We relaxed back into the couch, simply enjoying each other's company. I was falling back asleep as Joe dragged his fingers up and down my arm.

"Joe?" I whispered. He hummed in response. "Can we do something silly?"

I looked up when I felt Joe slightly move. He was looking down at me with such a sweet look on his face, it made me feel warm. I sat up out of his arms, making him sit up and turn toward me.

"This is going to sound ridiculous," I said under my breath, "but there's this thing I've done since I was a little kid. My big brother and I always made pinky promises. Kiddie ones but still. They meant something. It got to the point where pinky promises are the most serious, tender promises anyone in my life could make. To me, they are unbreakable."

"You want to make a pinky promise to each other?" He asked, not an ounce of judgment in his voice. I bit my lip, nodding my head. Joe leaned over and pressed a gentle kiss to my lips. When he broke the kiss, he was holding his pinky out for me.

"What do you want to pinky promise, gorgeous?"

I smiled as I raised my pinky and wrapped it around Joe's. "Let's promise to always be there for each other. Let's promise to have each other's backs, to always talk things through, to never leave angry, and most importantly, to never walk away from this relationship."

Joe brought our intertwined pinkies up to his mouth and kissed them.

"I pinky promise to always be there for you. I pinky promise to have your back, to always talk things through, to never leave angry, and to never walk away from this relationship."

Without untwining our pinkies, Joe leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. I smiled as I kissed him back. He broke the kiss and leaned his forehead against mine.

"Why don't we go get something to eat?" He suggested. "And then I am going to take my girl shopping."

"Shopping?" I asked as I leaned back. "Why do you want to take me shopping? I don't need clothes or anything."

"So," Joe shrugged, finally releasing my pinkie. "That doesn't mean I can't spoil my girl."

* * * * *

After our shopping trip, Joe and I stopped to get dinner on the way home. We stopped at the store and bought some ice cream. We went back to Joe's place and watched a movie while we ate straight from the container.

Halfway through the movie, I fell asleep on Joe's shoulder. I woke up when Joe picked me up and carried me down the hallway. We fell asleep in each other's arms.

I woke up when I heard a small bang. I sat up, holding my breath as I listened for the sound again. I gasped when it came again but harder this time.

"Joe?" I whispered. "Joe, did you hear that?"

I turned to him to see him still fast asleep. I gently grabbed his shoulder and started trying to shake him awake.

"Joe, I think someone's in the house."

I gasped when something that sounded like a window opening and something falling. I glanced back at him, sighing when I realized I would have to do this myself. I shakily got out of bed and grabbed the nearest weapon which happened to be Joe's baseball bat.

I left Joe's room and walked down the hallway, toward the sound. I let out a scream when I saw the person trying to sneak in through the fire escape window. The person instantly matched my scream.

"Y/N?!" I heard Joe from his room.

"Who are you?" I screamed as I backed up against the fridge.

"Stop screaming," the intruder snapped at me. "I have a pounding hangover."

I gasped when I saw the person breaking in at 3 o'clock in the morning was Maika Monroe.

"Stay the hell away from her!" Joe yelled as he ran into the room, ready to fight. He instantly put himself between me and the burglar.

"Maika? What the hell are you doing here?" Joe snapped. He reached back and grabbed my hand, pulling me closer. I placed my other hand on his back, hiding behind him.

"Calm down," she drunkenly giggled. "I just came for my stuff."

"What stuff?" Joe scoffed. "You took all of your stuff after the breakup."

"I swear I had some stuff left. . ."

"You don't," he cut her off. "Now, get the hell out of my apartment."

"Who the hell do you think you are?!" Maika yelled.

I took a step back, letting go of Joe's hands. I backed up until my back hit the fridge. I slowly reached up and covered my ears as Joe continued to try and kick his ex out of his apartment.

"Enough!" Joe yelled, cutting her off again. "We're done, Maika. You ended things when you cheated on me with Karl. I'm with Y/N now. She makes me incredibly happy and you are scaring her. I'm only going to tell you one more time; leave us alone or else I'll call the cops."

"Fine," she scoffed. "We're done!"

Joe followed her out to make sure she actually left. When he walked back inside, he froze.

"Y/N," he gasped. He ran to me, instantly collapsing to his knees in front of me. I was so deep in my panic attack that he had to reach up and move my hands away from my ears.

"Baby?" He whispered. "I'm so sorry, gorgeous. But she's gone and she's never going to bother us again. I promise, Y/N."

Tears were streaming down my face as I struggled to form words. Joe sat next to me, wrapping his arms around me. He continued to apologize as he held me tightly. He eventually stopped apologizing to me and focused on holding me close to help me calm down.

"How about we go back to bed?" He whispered. "And in the morning, we go get some new locks for every window and door to this place."