Simply Lovelorn-Keys

Keys' POV

I looked over at Y/N, my stomach doing a weird flip when a piece of hair fell in front of her face. I had to resist the urge to reach forward and move it for her. I took a deep breath as she tucked that hair behind her ear and fixed her glasses. I let out a small laugh, making Y/N look at me when I noticed it.

"What?" She asked.

I grabbed a nearby rag and used my water bottle to wet it. Using the rag, I cleaned the paint off her cheek.

"Thanks," she whispered. I laughed as she instantly went back to the painting she was working on. My heart jumped into my throat when she started humming her favorite song, Fantasy by Mariah Carey.

I've known Y/N most of my life. She moved in a few houses down when we were in middle school. Her dad started working with my dad. At first, we didn't really know each other. Our dads worked together, sure. Our moms would talk if they ran into each other at the store. But Y/N and I didn't talk.

Until the company picnic the summer after they moved here. I was eating a hamburger when I looked over and noticed her drawing in the dirt in the garden nearby.

"Whatcha doin'?" I asked. Y/N jumped and looked up at me.

"Drawing," she stuttered.

"You're really good."

"Thanks," she blushed as she looked away and went back to drawing in the dirt. I sat next to her and watched her.

After that picnic, when school started up again, I saw Y/N eating lunch alone. I walked over and sat with her. Ever since then, we've been inseparable.

Four years ago, Y/N and I got an apartment and moved to Cambridge together. I started going to MIT while Y/N started going to the Massachusetts College of Art and Design in Boston.

Y/N wasn't entirely sure what she wanted to do once she got her degree. She talked about opening a gallery. She also talked about becoming an illustrator for children's books. She wasn't sure. I, on the other hand, knew exactly what I wanted to do. My plan was to code a video game that changed the world.

I was almost done with the game I started my senior year. I looked away from my laptop when Y/N put her paintbrush in the cup of water.

"What are you thinking for dinner?" She asked, rolling her shoulders.

"I'm not hungry," I mumbled, going back to altering my code. I heard Y/N giggle but I didn't look up.

"Keys," she sighed. She moved next to me on the couch and slowly closed my laptop. "You haven't eaten anything since I got home from class. Five hours ago."

"I'm fine," I said as I started to open my laptop again. Y/N sighed as she instantly closed it.

"Walter," she whispered, "I know how stressed you are, but you have to eat. How about I make that pasta dish you always scarf down?"

I looked at her worried eyes and my heart melted. Even before we moved in together, Y/N has always taken care of me. She constantly put me ahead of her, even though I begged her not to. It's what helped me fall in love with her. That and how protective I was of her.