The One Heart-Steve Harrington

None of us could wrap our heads around what just happened. We had all seen it but we couldn't explain what it was. It felt like something out of a nightmare.

Once it disappeared and we were sure that it was gone, we slowly got out of our hiding places. I opened the closet and before I could move, Steve grabbed my hand and pulled me into his chest. He wrapped his arms tightly around me and gently rocked us side to side.

"You're safe," he said under his breath, sounding extremely relieved. I could feel his heart beating against his chest.

He pulled out of the hug and I started to ask if he was okay when he cut me off. I gasped when he leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of Steve Harrington kissing me. His lips were soft and the kiss was gentle. He slowly moved his lips against mine, never forcing me to kiss him back. I was amazed by how right this felt.

My heart sank when he slowly pulled away. He didn't look at me. Instead, he looked at our feet.

"I'm glad you're okay," he whispered.

My head spun as Steve walked away.

* * * * *

After the attack in the Byers' house, I went home and took a long shower. I let the hot water wash away the dirt, dried alien funk, and the drama. It didn't work with that last one.

When I got out, my mind was still on the events of the night. I tried to go to sleep, but I couldn't. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw that thing. I sat up and leaned against my headboard. I angrily brushed the tear off my cheek.

When I wasn't thinking about the thing, I thought about Steve's lips on mine. The feeling of how soft they were. The feeling he gave me.

I jumped when there was a soft knock at my window. I snapped my head and struggled to get my heart rate back under control when I saw Steve smiling shyly at me. He raised his hand and waved. I threw off my covers and walked over to my window. I unlocked it and opened it for him.

"You scared me," I said softly.

"Sorry," he chuckled. "Can I come in?"

I nodded and stepped aside. I wrapped my arms around myself, looking away as he stepped through the window.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, still struggling to calm down. I held my breath when his feet stepped in front of mine. My mind went back to thinking about our kiss.

"I just wanted to check on you," Steve said, his voice low.

"I'm fine," I shrugged.

Steve stepped closer to me and gently used his finger to lift my chin so I was looking at him.

"You sure?" He pushed.

"No," I whispered. "I'm not okay, Steve. I'm terrified. Every time I close my eyes, I see. . . It."

Steve gently grabbed me and pulled me into his chest. He wrapped his arms around me and quietly shushed me.

"It's going to be okay," he whispered. "You're safe now. It can't hurt you anymore. It's gone."

"Is it?" I asked as I roughly pulled out of his hold. "All we know is it disappeared. We don't know if it is actually gone. Dead. It could still be out there, Steve."

"And if it comes back," he instantly soothed, "we'll be ready for it."

"Will we?"

"Of course."

We stood there a little awkward, neither one of us really sure what to say next. We stayed where we were, staring into each other's eyes. I wanted to step away from him, overcome with nerves and embarrassment, but I couldn't. The idea of walking away from Steve turned my stomach sour.

"Well," he whispered. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I should. . ."

"Why did you leave?" I asked, cutting him off. He hesitated and the longer he did, the more impatient I got. "Steve," I pushed. "Why did you leave? We fought off that thing and then. . . Then you kissed me. It was an amazing kiss, but you seemed like you didn't like it."

"I did," he said quickly.

"Then why did you leave?" I asked again. "The fight happened, we had an incredible kiss, and then you left? Do you have any idea how that felt? To be kissed by the guy of your dreams and for him to run away from you immediately after?"

"The guy of your. . ."

"How could you kiss me like that and then just leave? Do you have any idea how that made me feel?"

"I didn't mean it like that," Steve said softly.

"Then what did you mean, Steve? Why did you kiss me?" I asked, my voice breaking. "Please tell me why you kissed me and walked away like it meant nothing because I've been going crazy ever since."

"All I do is break hearts," he sighed. He took a slow step closer to me, grabbing my hands and pulling me into him. "And your heart is the only one I would never forgive myself for breaking."

We looked into each other's eyes, Steve trying to read my expression. I let go of his hands, grabbed his face, and crashed my lips onto his. It only took a second before the shock wore off. He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed me back. Our lips began moving perfectly in sync. This kiss was even better than our first one. I forced myself to break the kiss, completely out of breath. I looked up at him, unable to get rid of the smile that formed.

"Who says you're going to break my heart?" I whispered.

Steve sighed as he leaned his forehead against mine. I felt my face burn as he rubbed his nose against mine. He sighed, tightening his arms around me.

"You're willing to risk it?" He asked under his breath. I leaned back and gently grabbed his chin.

"I am if you are," I shrugged. I smirked as I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling us closer. "I have to say, it's sweet that you're so nervous about breaking my heart. It's oddly reassuring."

"I don't really know why," he sighed, looking down at our feet. He cleared his throat before looking back up at me. "Maybe I'm scared because you mean more to me than any other person in my life. You are everything I think about, everything I need, everything I want."

"That's good to hear," I said under my breath as I tightened my arms around him. "You mean more to me than any other person in my life, but I'm not scared. You are also everything I think about, everything I need, and everything I want."

Steve smiled when I said his words back to him. He leaned down, his lips grazing against mine as he whispered.

"I promise to take care of your heart," he swore. "As if it was my own."