Scary Secrets-Steve Harrington

I couldn't keep this a secret any longer. Not after my parents kicked me out. Steve was all I had left. If he turned me away. . . I'd have no one.

I walked into the school gym, instantly wrapping my arms around myself. I smiled when I saw him playing the game as if his life depended on it. My breath got caught in my throat when he noticed me. He sent me a smile and waved his hand. I put on a brave face and waved back. My smile fell when Billy walked up behind him.

"Your girl is pretty sexy," Billy smirked. I watched as Steve's jaw clenched and he slowly turned toward him.

"Don't even think about it."

"Harrington! Hargrove! Back to the game."

It took them a second but Steve eventually backed down. The game went on as I walked over to the bleachers. Throughout the game, Steve kept glancing at me. Sadly, so did Billy. I couldn't hear him, but every time Billy looked at me, he made a comment to Steve.

The only reason I knew it was about me was because of the way Steve's jaw clenched. And the way he started playing a little more forcefully, aimed at Billy. He got frustrated with himself more, too.

Throughout the game, I kept thinking about what Steve's reaction would be to what I had to tell him. My parents freaked out. Would he? 

Would he break up with me?

The second that thought popped into my head, my chest tightened. I looked up at Steve, unable to stop the tears from streaming down my face. I looked down to see my hands shaking.

As my anxiety built, so did the feeling of wanting to run. When I couldn't take it anymore, I stood up and quickly jogged down the bleachers. I wrapped my arms around myself as I left the gym.

"Y/N?"

My breath got caught in my throat when Steve gently grabbed my arm, turning me toward him.

"You're missing your game," I whispered.

"What's wrong, gorgeous?" He asked, his voice dropping. He reached up and caught a tear with his thumb.

"Nothing," I stuttered.

"Y/N, you're leaving," he sighed. Steve grabbed my hands, pulling me into his chest. "You never leave unless something's up. What's wrong?"

"I told you. . ."

"Babe," he gently cut me off. "What's wrong?"

"It's not a big deal," I stalled. "I mean, it kinda is. I'm not sure how to explain it. Or where to start. But the thing is. . . It's kinda funny. Not ha-ha funny. More like ironic funny? I guess. You might not think it's. . ."

"Y/N. . ."

"My parents kicked me out," I blurted out.

"They what?!" Steve yelled. He took a shaky breath, forcing himself to calm down. "Why would they do that?" He asked through his teeth.

"The thing is. . ."

"Y/N," he whispered, anger still in his voice. "What happened? Why would your parents kick you out? They can't just do that. It doesn't sound like them. Why would they randomly kick. . ."

"I'm pregnant."

Steve dropped my hands, his eyes as wide as saucers. He opened and closed his mouth, struggling to form a thought. My eyes filled with tears as I over-examined his surprised expression. I took a step back, a sob slipping out.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I know this puts you in a tough position and. . . You just got that big basketball scholarship to Indiana State and now this. . . I don't want to force you into any of this. Or force this on you but. . . I don't have many options. Especially with my parents kicking me out. But I'll land on my feet. That doesn't matter. What matters is that you take time and think about whether you want to be involved. Again, I don't want you to feel any pressure. If you want to be involved, great. If not then. . ."

"Let's go."

"Go?" I stuttered. "Go where?"

"Go get your stuff," Steve explained.

"I don't understand," I said under my breath.

"You don't think I'm going to let my favorite girl and my baby that she's carrying be homeless, do you?"

"I didn't think you'd want anything to do with us," I mumbled as I looked down and placed my hand over my stomach. I looked up when Steve gently put his hand over mine.

"I love you, Y/N," Steve said instantly. "I want everything to do with you. Both of you."

"What are your parents going to say?" I asked, looking down at our hands still over my stomach. "We're seventeen and still in high school. We can't have a baby. My parents practically disowned me. But your parents. . ."

"It doesn't matter what they say," he gently cut me off. "You and I are going to have this baby. If they want to be involved, great. But if they say one word about us not being able to handle this, they will never see our baby."

"But they're your parents," I whispered.

Steve moved his hands from my stomach to my lower back. He pulled me closer, smiling at me the entire time.

"Y/N," he whispered. "Nothing they say is going to change my mind. I want to be in our baby's life. Every step of the way. I love you and I am going to love our baby with every ounce of love I have left. We're going to have an amazing life together."

"What about your scholarship?"

"I can still take it," he shrugged. "You and the baby can move to Terre Haute with me. Or I don't have to take it. We can stay here and guilt trip our parents into competing for Best Grandparents."

"Steve," I sighed. "They're not going to. . ."

"The second they meet our baby, your parents and my parents will be begging to be involved," Steve tried to reassure. I wrapped my arms around his neck, leaning my head against his chest.

"I'm sorry I kept this from you," I whispered. "I was scared. I told my mom, hoping she'd help me, but she instantly told my dad and they started yelling until they kicked me out."

"And what?" He asked. "You thought I'd respond the same?"

"I didn't know. But I was scared to find out."

Steve pulled out of our embrace and leaned down, pressing his lips to mine. I let out a small moan as we moved our lips in sync.

"I love you," he whispered. "And I will always be here for you and our baby. You and the baby will come first. Always."