Seeing Colors-Steve Harrington

I never truly believed in soulmates. At least not as much as everyone else. Then again, everyone else didn't graduate high school still seeing in black and white. To give myself some distance from my overbearing father and overly concerned mother, I'm spending the summer with my cousin. I haven't seen him much and I wanted to spend time with them before going away for college.

I drove into Hawkins, the small town already suffocating me. I was raised in a big city. Small towns just seemed too. . . small.

I parked in front of their house, grabbed my suitcase, and headed inside. I rang the doorbell and patiently waited.

"Y/N!"

I laughed as Dustin practically tackled me in a hug as soon as he opened the door.

"Good to see you too," I chuckled. "Let's go inside. I'm starving."

"Did I hear my niece is hungry?"

I looked up and smiled as my aunt walked over to us. She pulled me away from Dustin and wrapped me in a tight hug.

"It's so good to see you, sweetie."

"It's good to see you too," I smiled.

"Let's get you something to eat."

She pulled me inside and led me into the kitchen. Of course, she had a three-course meal waiting for me. As we ate, she asked me all of the cliché questions: how was graduation, how were my parents, was I nervous about college, was I planning on working this summer? And then she asked the one question I always hated answering.

"So," my aunt elongated, "any colors yet?"

"Nope," I sighed. "Not yet."

"Well, that's okay," she cleared her throat, sending a glance toward Dustin. "Dusty, I wonder if any of your older friends could be Y/N's soulmate. What about that one boy you've been spending more time with?"

"I appreciate your concern," I interrupted, "but I am more than capable of finding my soulmate."

I stood up and started clearing the table. I could barely hear my aunt and cousin talking about Dustin's mysterious friend. I shook my head and stopped trying. The rest of the night, my aunt looked at me with soft eyes.

After watching their favorite game show, we retired for the night. I placed my suitcase on the spare bed and sat next to it. I looked down at my hands, not entirely sure what color my nail polish was.

Everyone wants to find their soulmate, the person who is a perfect match for them. And as much as I hate to admit it, I wanted that too. I wanted to have that one person who was perfect for me and was destined to make me happy. I was just getting tired waiting to see colors.

* * * * *

"Why don't you come in?" Dustin offered.

"To an amateur basketball game between a bunch of graduates?" I scoffed.

"Like you have anything better to do," Dustin laughed.

"I hate that you're right," I sighed as I pulled into a nearby parking spot. We got out and headed into the gym. Dustin stopped in the doorway, nervously fiddling with his fingers.

"Son of a. . ." I mumbled when I figured it out. I turned toward him and crossed my arms over my chest. "The boy your mom was talking about the other night is playing, isn't he?"

The guilty look on Dustin's face was all I needed. I started to leave but he grabbed my hand.

"Please, Y/N," he sighed. "Just meet him."