Newer and Better Valentine-Steve Harrington

Steve's POV

My stomach flipped when I looked up and instantly saw Y/N walking into class. She sent me a shy smile as she walked over to the desk next to mine. As soon as she sat down, I leaned over and kissed her cheek.

"Steve," she gasped. "What are you doing?"

"What?" I teased. "Valentine's day is next week. Call me a romantic but. . ." I stopped talking when I saw the eye roll and the scowl on Y/N's face. "What?" I asked again. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she sighed, softly clearing her throat. I reached over and gently grabbed her hand.

"Talk to me," I whispered.

"It's just," she hesitated. She finally looked at me, her eyes softening as she studied me. "You don't have to do anything special for Valentine's Day."

"Of course we do," I rushed out. "It's our first Valentine's day as a couple."

"We've only been dating a couple of months," she mumbled, looking away from me. She started slowly getting her stuff ready for class.

"So?" I pushed. "We can still celebrate."

"We don't have to," she whispered.

"Why don't you want to do anything?"

Y/N looked at me, the look in her eyes sinking. When she didn't say anything, I opened my mouth to ask again. Before I could, our teacher started class.

I couldn't focus on the lesson. All I wanted was to ask Y/N why she didn't want to celebrate Valentine's Day. Was it because of me? Was it because of our relationship? Was it something I did? Was it something Tommy or Carol said?

I spend the next couple of classes overthinking everything about our relationship. Y/N and I started dating right at the start of this school year. The second week of school, we were paired on a history project. We spent the entire week in class, talking more about each other than our project.

We got our grades back a week later and ended up with the highest grade in the class. After we got our project back, I asked her on a date. She said yes and we've been together ever since.

When we first started dating, things were a little rocky. My friends didn't like her and her friends didn't like me. I eventually won her friends over. I wouldn't let Y/N try and win Tommy and Carol over. I chose Y/N over them and had no intention of going back.

"Mandy," I whispered. I caught her in the hallway after third period. "I need to ask you a question about Y/N."

"Is everything okay?" Mandy instantly asked. "I swear if you hurt her. . ."

"No," I said quickly. "I didn't hurt her. I just want to know why she doesn't like Valentine's Day?"

Mandy sighed, tightening her grip on her books. She looked around before finally back at me.

"Freshman year of high school," she sighed, "Y/N started dating this guy. Aaron Walker. She was head over heels for the guy. He, however, was head over heels for every other girl in our grade. At the Valentine's Dance that year, I found him making out with another girl. I threatened to tell Y/N if he didn't."

"I'm guessing he did," I said, unable to ignore the anger I suddenly had toward Aaron Walker.

"Yeah," she said, her eyes looking away. Before she did, I caught the look of guilt in her eyes. "He told her the truth and broke up with her. On Valentine's Day."

"Do you think I can fix this holiday for her?" I asked. Mandy looked at me as if she was studying me. "Please," I whispered. "Can I fix it for her?"

"I think so," she whispered. She hesitated before adding, "But it's not going to be easy, Steve. Aaron was her first love. And you know how hard those are to forget."