Protective Parents-Steve Harrington

Tumblr Request by therealbattleangel

We watched as Hopper, Joyce, Nancy, Johnathan, and Will left. Well, everyone else watched them. I watched Steve's face as Nancy left with Johnathan. He started to look at me so I quickly looked away.

I've known Steve, Nancy, and Johnathan my entire life. I wasn't popular but I wasn't invisible. I'm captain of our girls' volleyball team and chief editor of the yearbook. Even though I'm considered a jock, I'm still a straight-A student. I even volunteer at the middle school, tutoring students in all subjects.

That's how I got to know Will, Mike, Dustin, and Lucas. I tutored Dustin in English, Lucas in Math, and helped Will get caught up.

I looked over, struggling to hold in my laughter when I saw Dustin emptying out the fridge.

"What are you doing?" I asked. I glanced over at Steve holding that Demodog. When he made eye contact with me he rolled his eyes.

"Alright," Dustin said, out of breath, "it should fit now."

"Is this really necessary?" Steve asked.

"Yes, it is," Dustin said instantly. "Okay? This is a groundbreaking scientific discovery. We can't just bury it like some common mammal. Okay? It's not a dog."

"He's got a point," I called out. Steve looked over at me and glared. I sent him an innocent smile and fluttered my eyelashes, making him slowly break. I ignored the feeling in my stomach when the corner of his mouth slowly lifted into a smile.

"Come on, Steve!"

"Alright," he sighed. "Alright, but you're explaining this to Mrs. Byers."

I got off the couch and leaned against the wall, struggling to hold back my laughter as the two struggled to get that thing in Mrs. Byers' freezer. I looked over my shoulder to see Lucas and Max sitting on the couch while Mike paced back and forth.

"Mike," Lucas sighed, "will you just stop already?"

"You weren't in there, okay, Lucas? That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs."

"Demodogs!" Dustin called from the kitchen.

"The chief will take care of her," Lucas said.

"Like she needs protection," Max mumbled.

"Listen," Steve sighed as he walked in, wiping his hands on a towel, "when Coach calls a play in the game, bottom line, you execute it. Alright?"

"First of all, this isn't some stupid sports game," Mike said angrily. "Second of all, we're not even in the game. We're on the bench."

"Right, so my point is. . ." Steve stuttered. We waited for him to continue but he couldn't think of anything inspiring to say. "Right, yeah, we're on the bench. So uhh. . . There's nothing we can do."

"That's not entirely true," Dustin hesitated. "I mean, these Demodogs have a hive mind. When they ran away from the bus, they were called away."

"So if we get their attention," Lucas said, catching on.

"Maybe we can draw them away from the lab," Max finished.

"And clear a path to the gate," Mike added.

"Yeah, and then we all die!" Steve yelled.

"That's one point of view," Dustin shrugged.

"No, that's not a point of view, man," Steve sighed. "That's a fact."

"I got it!" Mike gasped as he ran to the other room. The other kids followed him and Steve just stared at me.

"You gonna help?" He asked.