The Letter Part 2-Steve Harrington

Steve's POV

I jumped out of my car and ran back inside the Wheeler's. I ran right past Ted half-asleep on his chair. I practically jumped down the basement stairs but froze when I saw their basement was empty.

"What the hell?" I mumbled. "She was. . . She was just here."

I quickly spun around when I heard someone walking down the stairs. My heart slightly sank when I saw it was Max, not Y/N.

"Max," I said quickly. "Where's Y/N?"

"What do you mean?" She asked, looking behind me. "I thought she was here."

"What's going on?"

We looked over to see Dustin and Lucas jogging down the stairs.

"Where's Y/N?" Dustin asked.

"I don't know," I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. "I was in my car for barely ten minutes."

"Why would she take off?" Lucas asked. "With Vecna out there, he could grab her at any time. She said that 24 hours after she first saw the clock, he'd. . ."

"I know!" I angrily cut him off. "I know that we're running out of time and it's been 24 hours since she saw that damn clock. Which is why we need to find her!"

"I think I know where she might be," Max said.

"Where?" I asked quickly.

Max hesitated. She looked down, playing with her fingers. "Max," I whispered. "Where is she? I have to find her."

"Billy," she sighed, looking up at me guiltily.

"What does he have to do with Y/N running off?" Dustin asked hesitantly.

"Before we moved here, Billy lived in California," Max started to explain. "Y/N lived there too. That's where we first met her."

"You knew Y/N before?" Lucas asked.

"Her and Billy were best friends," Max said, glancing at me. "They went to school together before she moved here."

"Was there anything romantic between the two of them?" Dustin asked, glancing at me when he asked. I sighed, rolling my eyes but still curious.

"Of course not," Max scoffed. "They were like seven. But when we moved here, they ran into each other. Billy had to keep up his stupid bad boy facade so, in public, he acted like he didn't remember her. Truth was, he did. He never forgot her. He only remembered her when no one was around to see her making him turn back into a little puppy dog that followed her around. She knew what he was doing. She still worried about him. And when he died. . ."

Max didn't finish. She looked away, hiding her feelings from us. I took a step closer to her, making her look at me.

"Where is she, Max?" I whispered.

"We might want to stop by Billy's grave."

* * * * *

We pulled into the cemetery, parking on the road closest to Billy's grave. If we looked up a hill, we could just barely see Y/N sitting in front of a headstone. I jumped out, quickly followed by the kids.

"Steve, wait," Max stopped me. "Shouldn't we give her some space?"

"But Vecna. . ."

"She might be saying goodbye," Max cut me off.

"We all got letters from her, Steve," Dustin jumped in. "Y/N's preparing. Just in case."

"In case of what?!" I yelled. "I'm not going to let anything happen to her."