Confessions of the Actor-Joe Keery

Living next to an actor is not nearly as glorious as some people think. Truth is, I don't really know Joe Keery. I ran into him in the hallway or the elevator a few times, but other than that, I only knew him the same way his fans did. Through rumors and headlines.

But the last few days, things have changed. He's been different. He stops me in the hallway instead of simply nodding. He said more than "How are you?" in the elevator.

"Morning, Y/N," Joe greeted as I turned around and locked my apartment.

"Morning," I nodded. I looked over confused as he was unlocking his door. "It's 7:30," I mumbled. "Are you just getting home?"

"Yeah," he sighed. "We were filming one of our nighttime scenes. Then we refilmed it a couple of times."

"Who knew actors didn't just work from 10-2," I teased as I started to leave.

Throughout the week, our conversations got longer and longer. We eventually started having full conversations outside our doors. One day after an extremely long day at work, I was on the brink of breaking.

"Damn it," I mumbled as one of my grocery bags broke.

My bag fell off my shoulder, tears threatening to spill. I unlocked my door and pushed it open. A tear finally began to fall as I knelt down and slowly picked up my scattered groceries.

"You want some help with that?"

My breath got caught in my throat when I heard Joe walking toward me. "I'm fine," I said shakily. "Thank you, though."

"Hey," he whispered as he knelt down next to me. "Are you okay?"

When Joe reached over and gently put his hand on my shoulder, a sob got caught in my throat.

"Why don't we go inside and talk about it?" He suggested.

"I'm fine," I cleared my throat as I stood up. I started to walk inside but Joe softly grabbed my hand. I looked up to see him staring at me knowingly.

"Talk to me," he whispered.

"It's nothing," I whispered back.

Joe sighed as he reached up and caught a tear on my cheek. He reached down and grabbed my hand. I didn't object as he led me into my apartment. As we walked in, he let go of my hand.

I looked over my shoulder, my throat tightening when he left. I quickly turned around, another sob getting stuck in my throat. I wrapped my arms tightly around myself, forcing myself not to cry.

"Here."

I jumped when Joe walked back into the kitchen. I smiled when he put my groceries and bag on the table. He turned around with a small smile.

"You didn't think I would leave you, did you?"

"I may have had a moment of doubt," I shrugged.

"Well don't," he said, all sense of teasing from earlier gone. "I'd never leave you when you needed help, Y/N. Ever."

"I'll keep that in mind."

* * * * *

That night was the first night either one of us had actually been inside the other's apartment. We spent hours talking about our lives. Joe helped me through the struggle of work and being unappreciated by the men I'm working with.

"Thanks," he smiled as I handed him a beer.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course," he shrugged after taking a drink.