Right In Front of You-Steve Harrington

Season 4, Episode 7

Tumblr Request by faithiegirl01

I looked over my shoulder to see the kids watching us from the shore. I quickly turned around and wrapped my arms around myself, resisting the urge to dive into the water and swim back to shore. I could feel Steve's eyes on me as we rowed to the middle of the lake. He opened his mouth to say something to me but Nancy interrupted him.

"This is it," she sighed. "This is where Patrick died."

"Alright," Eddie said loudly as he clapped his hands. "Who wants to dive down and search for a gate? Probably not me because I've never seen one."

"That counts me out," Robin chuckled awkwardly. Nancy, Steve, and I looked at each other. My heart jumped into my throat when Steve sighed and started taking off his shoes.

"What are you doing?" I stuttered.

"Somebody's gotta go down and check this out," he sighed. "Unless one of you four can top being Hawking High swim co-captain and a certified lifeguard for three years, then it's gotta be me. No complaints, alright?"

"But. . ."

Steve reached over and grabbed my hand. He gave it a gentle squeeze as he smiled at me.

"I'll be fine," he whispered. I opened my mouth to point out that he was going underwater, but he added, "I promise."

I looked away, unable to watch as my best friend, the boy I was secretly in love with, got ready to dive into the lake. I wrapped my arms around myself, holding my breath when I heard a splash. I struggled to keep my breathing under control as I tried not to think about Steve swimming toward a gate and what could be down there waiting for him.

I jumped when he finally came back to the surface. He swam to the edge of the boat, pulling himself up a little so he could see us. He instantly found me. I moved to the side of the boat, gently putting my hands over his.

"Did you see anything?" Robin asked.

"Yeah," he said, catching his breath. He finally looked away from me and towards Robin as he added, "Dustin was right. There's another gate."

"Underwater?" Nancy asked. "Is that even possible?"

The others started talking about the possibilities and whether or not we should go down there.

"Are you okay?" I whispered.

"I'm fine," he said, squeezing my hand. "You should see it though, Y/N. The gate is pretty. . ."

"Steve?" I asked when he stopped talking. "What's wrong?"

"Something. . ."

"Steve!" I screamed when he was pulled under. I didn't hesitate. I didn't listen to my friends. I didn't even think about it. I dove in after him.

I didn't have time to focus on the fact that demobats were dragging him down. I didn't have time to focus on how scary the gate looked. I didn't have time to hesitate before swimming through the gate.

I gasped for air as I struggled to climb through the gate. I didn't have time to relax before I heard Steve gasping for breath. I turned around, my heart jumping into my throat when I saw the demobat's tail wrapped around his neck.

I grabbed the closest thing to me which was a rowboat ore. As I started to hit the bat that was choking Steve, others started attacking me. I let out a surprised scream as I started attacking the ones attacking me.

"Y/N," Steve gasped out.

"Hold on!" I yelled between swats.

I continued to fight off as many as I could as I started to hear the others coming through the gate. I'm not sure what really happened or who killed how many. All I knew was that it was over.