Powerful Secrets-Steve Harrington

Requested by strangerthing4ever

Ever since Will went missing, the entire town has been on edge. My parents bumped my curfew to an hour before it got dark. Maybe it was the fact that people keep going missing. Or it could be because I was born different. 

It started when I was three. Mom said I could make toys move toward me. As I got older, instead of pushing my abilities, I hid them. I didn't want to know what they were or how far I could use them. And I definitely didn't want my friends to know about them.

It hasn't been easy hiding these powers. As I got older, I could feel them getting stronger. I started getting these headaches when I started high school. It was as if my powers were begging to be used.

The only thing I could do to get rid of the headaches was to use my powers. When I figured that out, I started sneaking off to the woods after school. I started off small. Moving fallen trees out of a path. Then I started digging them up, levitating them. 

After another session of secret training, I started to run back to my house. When I got there, I saw Steve nervously pacing in front of his car.

"Steve?"

His head snapped toward me and the tension in his shoulders released. Steve started running towards me. I gasped when he wrapped his arms around me, slightly picking me up. He put me back on my feet and firmly grabbed my shoulders.

"Where the hell were you?"

"I went for a run," I said slowly.

"I've been calling and calling your house."

"My mom is probably at the store and my dad's at work. Steve, I'm fine."

"People are going missing," he said, letting out a shaky breath. "I thought. . ."

"You thought I had gone missing," I said, my voice dropping to a whisper as I finally figured out why Steve was so jumpy. "I'm sorry. I go for a run after school every day. I should've told you."

Steve pulled me back into his chest, reached up, and played with the hairs of my ponytail. 

"Next time," he whispered, "I'm running with you."

* * * * *

After Barb went missing, Nancy changed. She started icing me and Steve out. It bothered him more than it bothered me. I've known Nancy my entire life, but I couldn't get past her self-confidence. Her confidence bordered on cockiness. I couldn't handle it so I stopped being attached to her hip in middle school.

I was still friends with her and Barb, I just didn't spend every second of every day with her. I studied with them and ate lunch with them at school, but that was it. Unfortunately, when she started dating Steve, her "confidence" just got worse.

I knew Steve way before he and Nancy became a thing. Our dads work together. We were both dragged to work parties in clothes that were itchy. We often stole a plate of cookies, ran, and hid in one of our dads' offices. We were friends but only at those parties.

When Steve and Nancy started dating, he was no longer embarrassed to be my friend. He said hi to me at school, asked me to help him study a few times, and even sat with me at lunch. He started hanging out with me more. When Nancy started pulling away from Steve, he seemed to gravitate toward me.

The closer he got to me, the harder it was for me to walk away. It got to the point where I was excited that he was waiting for me by his car after school. I'd feel gitty when I saw him pulling up to my house. Whenever he grabbed my hand. . . My heart skipped a beat.