My New Guitarist-Joe Keery

I rubbed my temple, wanting this audition to be over. I looked over at my drummer, Mason, to see the same look on his face that I had on mine.

"Please make him stop," I whispered. He playfully saluted me before turning toward the teenager.

"Thank you," he said over the guy's ridiculous guitar riff. "We'll call you."

The guy proudly smirked as he unplugged his guitar and walked out. I slumped in my chair, leaning my head against the top of the chair.

"You okay?" Mason asked, copying me.

"I'm fine," I sighed. "Just cursing Drake for bailing on us to start his own band two weeks before our gig."

"We live in LA," Mason sighed. "How can we not find a single person to replace him as lead guitarist?"

"Maybe we're being too picky," I mumbled.

"There's nothing wrong with being too picky," he said gently. "We want to make sure that they fit well with the band."

"How many do we have left on the list?"

"Five," he sighed.

"Wonderful," I said, clearing my throat. "Let's get this over with."

Five ear-bleeding auditions later, Mason and I still hadn't met anyone that would fit well with our band.

"This has been an absolute waste of time," I grunted angrily as I tossed my pencil on the table. I leaned back and ran my fingers through my hair.

I looked over to see Mason thinking harder than normal.

"You okay?"

"I think. . ."

"What?" I asked.

"I might know a guy. I knew him growing up," Mason explained. "I'm not sure what he's up to now but it's worth a shot."

I shrugged looking at the lists of names we have crossed off. I ran my fingers through my hair, knowing there wasn't much left to lose.

"Give him a call."

* * * * *

About twenty minutes later, another guitarist showed up. I didn't get up to welcome him, but Mason basically ran to him.

"Joe!" He laughed.

"Mason, my man," the guy chuckled.

"It's nice to see you," Mason laughed. "Thanks for doing this."

"No problem," he chuckled. "I'm sorry to hear about your douchebag guitarist."

"We never really liked him," Mason said, even though Mason and Drake were practically best friends. I stood up and turned to meet Mason and the new guy.

"Let me introduce you to our lead vocalist, Y/N," Mason said. "Y/N, this is Joe."

"Nice to meet you," I nodded.

"You as well," he smiled.

"Let's do this," I sighed as I turned on my heel and walked back to the front of the small theater we rented.

"Right to the point," Joe laughed.

"Try not to judge her too much," Mason said softly. "She's been pretty stressed since Drake left. We have a big gig in two weeks. If we do well, it could open a lot of doors."

"So basically the kind of gig that could make or break a band?"

"Exactly," Mason sighed.

"You ready?" I asked as I sat back at our table.